Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looks like the wait will soon be over for this scope, found this Taiwanese web page where it says it is for sale.

https://www.galuxe.com.tw/products/william-optics-redcat-71-apo-中紅貓天文望遠鏡

The discounted cost is around £1300 ( 49,500 new Taiwan dollar )

Compatible with full-frame and phase field range covered by APS-C cameras
Use APO grade FPL-53 optical lens
The design of the optical focus assist plate in the hood
With image field rotation system
Lightweight and easy to carry on expedition abroad
48mm filter screw can be built-in
Vixen/Arca-Swiss double pass specification dovetail version
RedCat 71 APO 

Optical form Refracting telescope
Effective caliber 71 mm
Coating Comprehensive multilayer coating
focal length 350 mm
Focus ratio (F) F4.9
Dovetail plate type Vixen Type and Arca-Swiss compatible
size 430mm long
The outer diameter of the hood 105mm
Weight 3.6 kg

Here are a few pictures they shared over the past 2 years, including some test exposures (sadly, compressed by Facebook). Seems like a more final design! I like that they added a way to rotate the focuser with a timing belt, without the need to 3D print something :) 

https://www.facebook.com/williamoptics/posts/10162268748890383

https://www.facebook.com/williamoptics/posts/10162313785245383

https://www.facebook.com/williamoptics/posts/10164382273115383

On 21/09/2021 at 06:53, Simon Pepper said:

Didn’t know WO were making one to be fair I will be sure to have a google and check it out! 

They were also working on a 91mm version but i am sure that one will be out of my price range :) 

On 21/09/2021 at 07:38, david_taurus83 said:

So, basically a Star 71 with helical focuser?

But, but.......   it's red :) 

• Haha 1

On 21/09/2021 at 07:38, david_taurus83 said:

So, basically a Star 71 with helical focuser?

Yes optically I expect so. Better to get the star 71 too as it's a pain adding autofocusers to helicals. 

Edited by Adam J

• 3 months later...

I'm a bit late wading in on this one, I have a star 71 v2 in blue the first new telescope I bought in 2020 and its a beautiful object as are all WO telescopes. My gripe with WO is they are forever changing and discontinuing products so by the time i have saved up for the scope I want its gone. I bought a used redcat51 and I hate it. Don't get me wrong optically its a fantastic performer, the pelican nebula pic attached is 6 x 5m exposures with an AA294C camera no flat bias or dark and stretched greatly showing round stars right up to the edge. Helical focusing is a nightmare and I gain very little extra FOV. My star 71 is much easier to focus and is going back into the obsy after christmas and the redcat will find a new home. the FOV on the redcat 71 is exactly the same as the Star 71 but the Star 71 is £600 cheaper if you can find a new one anywhere. I just don't see where the value difference is between the 2 scopes but that's irrelevant now as it's no longer made. Their previous big project the Pegasus observation binocular had possibly the shortest life of any WO product, I remember waiting for it to appear on the website of the usual sellers and it only appeared on the widescreen centre with a POA tag and I don't think they ever had one. This is now my holy grail as so few where made it may be many years before I get to see one let alone own one. WO have a lovely product but it doesn't need updating every 5 minutes.

1072721809_Action-RGBcolor.thumb.jpg.b20bc98eacc97bc138e73f25b519c68b.jpg