Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some advice needed for my first dedicated as to camera.

I’m contemplating getting a dedicated astro camera setup but confess I’m clueless and after looking at different cameras and specs I’m baffled. 

I’m very new to astronomy in general but like the idea of a ZWO full setup including the ASiAir Pro, filter wheel, etc so I can control everything from my IPad.

My telescope is a Skywatcher Evostar 100 ED on a AZ-EQ6R mount. I’d like to be able to take photos of DSO’s.

I realise I’m going to have to spend quite a bit and I’m prepared to do that but what I don’t want is to take a guess and end up buying something not suitable. My budget would be up to £2000.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Edited by BobInYorkshire

I'm in the same situation as you, I want to start doing DSO imaging but the choices and equipment are overwhelming, also like you want to use mono and filters. So I've decided to do planetary first, I can then learn a simpler setup, with no need for guide cameras so less software to learn, also no need for expensive narrowband filters. Once I've learnt the basics I can then add narrowband filters, get a cooled DSO camera and use the planetary camera for guiding. Then I might look into ASiAir and their equivalents. 

Just a thought. 

Edited by GalaticBoba

A good place to start would be the following website:

https://astronomy.tools/calculators/ccd_suitability

Plug in your scope and prospective camera and the calculator will tell you how well sampled the combination will be, for example you dont want the combination to be over or under sampled.

Additionaly, planetarium software such as Stellarium allows you to simulate the camera and scope FoV, so you can see if the combination gives you the FoVs you would like.

Between these two you'll be able to figure out what is the best match for both your scope and your imaging intentions.

Hope that helps some.