SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Who to believe?

Stu

It’s beautifully clear here in Crewkerne, so I’m tempted to set the AZ100 and LZOS 130mm up to have a look at Jupiter. The GRS should be good after around 10pm, and there is a shadow transit of Io later still. Trouble is, Sat24 shows a band of cloud heading south, CO says cloudy and BBC says clear all night!

I think I will setup anyway, and hopefully it will stay clear somehow!

BFD4FA83-BB6B-4F63-BB9E-4E684F81CCC4.png

48640E18-29D0-449A-A264-BBFBEC3BA9C7.png

73AB2D95-539A-4E63-910B-6F5F9542BCDE.png

• Haha 1

Good Luck @Stu, it's lovely and clear here in Poole as well with The Met predicting clear skies all night whilst Clear Outside suggests cloudy from 22:00. 

I have an early start tomorrow so will just be setting up the ZS70 on the AZGTi for a quick look at Jupiter.

Hope you have a good night night.

Ade

• Like 2

Always the same, I just tend to look out of my window now and see for myself, but unfortunately I can't see whats coming in the next few hours 😞 
If were going out or on holiday the wife just believes the best forecast 🙂 

@Stu whats that app where you can see the cloud cover ? Is it in relatively live time ?

Steve

Lots of different data sources and models..... seem to suggest a clear night for you.....

image.thumb.png.447f7d2fd9bd0961476ee3e0bbddd266.png

But seeing and / or jet stream might not be the best...

image.thumb.png.98cd3fccce8b141e2c77d1fc44060f6e.png

... although the model used for that also has high cloud.... so might be more pessimistic than the others.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Always the same, I just tend to look out of my window now and see for myself, but unfortunately I can't see whats coming in the next few hours 😞 
If were going out or on holiday the wife just believes the best forecast 🙂 

@Stu whats that app where you can see the cloud cover ? Is it in relatively live time ?

Steve

Sat24 Steve. Its pretty good for seeing where the big banks of cloud are coming from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's been a lovely day all day here (I've been fishing to make the most of it :icon_biggrin:). A few clouds about now and I'm in a similar quandary - CO shows heavy cloud cover from around 8:30 whereas the sky could well be good.

On the basis of recent experience, I'll put a scope out. Generally lately, things have turned out better than forecast :icon_biggrin:

Well I’ve put the scope out and will keep my fingers crossed.

@teoria_del_big_bang, as said it’s www.Sat24.com, excellent for making your own forecasts which often turn out more accurate than the professionals! There is an IR map as well which shows the clouds at night though not in as much detail.

A82EBD23-B527-43B1-BD2B-72FE8F008A46.jpeg

F52467FA-2356-454C-98BB-35BC254AE30B.jpeg

A5071691-EB4A-4424-89FE-9B7E3DBA17A7.jpeg

• Like 14

That looks to be a great location/horizon Stu..what's your local Bortle sky rating?

Hope it stays clear for you tonight..lovely here at the moment (Lincolnshire)..we've just come home from a family visit in Yorkshire a couple of hours ago, but if it's clear and the  almost full moon isn't too bright, I'll try to get out for a short look🤞

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Typo
  • Like 1

It’s been mostly raining and cloudy for the last 24 hours here on the East Coast, no sign of a clear night. Scope looks fab @Stu   

1 hour ago, IB20 said:

“If in doubt, put the smallest scope out”

Great advice, I shall remember this! 😁

11 hours ago, F15Rules said:

That looks to be a great location/horizon Stu..what's your local Bortle sky rating?

Yes, it’s really nice Dave, I can see the Milky Way down quite low in the South and planets are no problem! Makes a change from chasing gaps in the houses!

It is Bortle 4 in the garden, and it is only about 15 mins drive to Bortle 3, somewhere between Bridport and Lyme Regis. The coast in about 35 mins away.

6856B0AC-1220-4063-82A4-908077142AE0.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

That's great, Stu!

Compared to Walton on T, I wonder how much "additional aperture" your new skies give you now? Eg, does a 5" scope in Crewkerne now perform more like a 6" in Walton?

I wonder..🤔

Dave

I reckon it’s more like 8” or more Dave. Objects are visible here in binoculars that I could see even with an 8” scope at home!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UKDiver said:

Welcome to the SW and the wonderful weather... I'm based in Exeter, home of the Met Office. I'd swear sometimes they could not get a very short term forecast right if they looked out of the window!

I’m sure you are right! Last night the BBC won, who do they use now? Not the MO I don’t think?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

I’m sure you are right! Last night the BBC won, who do they use now? Not the MO I don’t think?

On 6 February 2018, BBC Weather changed supplier from the government Met Office to MeteoGroup, after being required to put its weather services out to tender. Wikipedia

🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

It is Bortle 4 in the garden, and it is only about 15 mins drive to Bortle 3, somewhere between Bridport and Lyme Regis. The coast in about 35 mins away.

Nice!.  Stayed for a week just north of Bridport in August. A farm near Broadoak.  Some lovely sky but the weather only played ball for one night of the week. 

Have you been to the little coastal village of West Bexington?  It's just up the coast from West Bay towards Weymouth.  You can park right near the beach and the sky is absolutely amazing.  Darkest place I found in the whole area for sure.  Sadly about 30mins after I got there the clouds rolled in. 🤬

• Like 1