Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spare stepper motors for HEQ5

Is it possible to get spare stepper motors for the HEQ5?

While adjusting the DEC backlash today and running it forward and back I noticed that occasionally the dec would pause momentarily. After some investigation I found that there was about 1mm float in the motor shaft. This is in the direction along the shaft. The mount has the rowan belt mod. If I take the belt off I can press the end of the cog on the motor and it will depress a small amount. If I take my finger off it springs back. I've watched it running with the cover off. If I rotate it in one direction with the belt on it's fine. If I change direction it does a few turns no problem but then the shaft suddenly shifts in or out a small amount and there's a tiny pause in the belt. It's fine again until I change direction again.

I checked the RA motor and there's no float on the shaft.

I have a horrible feeling I've damaged the motor when I did the belt mod. I checked that the grub screws holding the cog onto the motor shaft are tight.

Cheers

Steve

If there is any designation info marked on the motor e.g. 17HS13-1334S, that will give you an indication of what to look for, i.e. size, holding torque, phase resistance, phase inductance, step angle etc.

With this info you should then be able to find a suitable replacement on a site like https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/#   I use their motors all the time for 3D printers / focusers / motorising an old EQ5 ....  

Thanks Julian,

The only number on the motor is HM5GT-F00-1 and when I googled it it listed it as the HEQ5 motherboard.  I found another reference on this site for replacement stepper motors for the HEQ5 and it gave HT17-273 as the replacement but that is a NEMA17 frame and when I measured the actual motor it appears to be a NEMA14 frame. Oh well.