Narrowband

Imaging books

adamsp123

Hi all, I have now, and in the process of reading Covington -digital SLR astrophotography and Ratledge - Digital Astrophotography.

But I have spotted a couple of books that possibly be of interest to me but they are quite pricey so I am looking to see if any of you know of or even posess the following.

Photoshop Astronomy, by R. Scott Ireland

I believe an in depth look at using Photoshop for AP processing an area that I really don't have a handle on yet.

Handbook of Astronomical Image Processing. inc AIP4Win 2.0 disk.

Any views on those two much appreciated as usual I don't want to buy something expensive that won't really help me in AP very much.

Pete

Lo Pete

I have the R Scot Ireland book and its very thorough, You will end up re-reading each chapter to help all the info sink in.

There's plenty of practical tutorials in the book plus on the disk that accompanies it.

Have also tried the AIP4Win software and it does seem very comprehensive but never had the patience to keep going at it.

I have 'The handbook of astro imaing processing', which did indeed come with AIP4WIN 2.0.

The book is very comprehensive, and very scientific. For someone just getting started, it could be very 'heavy going'.

Its an exclellent reference book, that's nice to have 'to hand', and I don't regret buying it. It is however expensive, and perhaps a bit 'heavy' for general purpose reading.

The software, I didn't like that much, and no longer use it.

I also have Photoshop Astronomy, by R.Scott.Ireland, and this is an excellent book, and one certainly one that I'd recommend. However, bear in mind that it is dedicated to Photoshop processing.

Another book that I have is 'A practical guide to CCD astronomy' by Martinez and Klotz. Personally I don't rate this book particularly highly, and its not one that I would recommend.

Photoshop for Astro Photographers by Jerry Lodriguez, is another very good reference that I have, but this is a CD based book, and again is Photoshop specific.

HTH

Dave

Hi all,

I ordered - Photoshop Astronomy, by R. Scott Ireland still waiting for it to arrive from the States.

I baulked at Handbook of Astronomical Image Processing. inc AIP4Win 2.0 disk - seems like I would, like you guys, find it too much and lose patience with it.

Thanks for the advice Pete

Hi Pete

You will not be disappointed with the book, and even when you've read it, you'll always refer back to it.

Take your time, and work your way through the sample images on the accompanying CD.

Enjoy!!

Dave

Hi all,

I ordered - Photoshop Astronomy, by R. Scott Ireland still waiting for it to arrive from the States.

I baulked at Handbook of Astronomical Image Processing. inc AIP4Win 2.0 disk - seems like I would, like you guys, find it too much and lose patience with it.

Thanks for the advice Pete

Pete, where in the US did you order the book from.?

I thought of getting it from SCS Astro, but I understand they are out of stock. I emailed them to verify, but no reply as yet.

It is £35.00 plus postage from SCSAstro, which is reasonable if the book is very useful.

Ron.:lol:

Ron,

Well I'm blowed! I paid £38.79 on Amazon.co.uk - new but vendor in the USA, but now the cheapest is £56.29!! I have no idea what is going on. I am still waiting for the book but it should be here in the next few days. Tried scsastro first but out of stock.

I have ordered 2 other books from the USA via amazon and they have made it here OK

Pete, if image processing from a DSLR is one of your goals and one you want to get a handle on, I would highly recommend " A Guide to Astrophotography with Digital SLR Cameras" by Jerry Lodriguss, it is a CD based book with excellent text and video based tutorials on image processing (Photoshop based) and acompanying sample files which take you through the process step by step.

Since purchasing the CD it has really helped me to bring structure to my image processing workflow, I am sure there may be more comprehensive and weighty publications but to get started it is an excellent resource from whch to build on, very well laid out and easy to follow (videos are great - much better than static text to explain what to do), more importantly it works.

Brendan

Archived