Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Review: ASIAIR Plus

Lee_P

Hi SGLers,

I've had one of the new ASIAIR Plus units for a couple of days now, and have written a review: http://urbanastrophotography.com/index.php/2021/09/18/review-asiair-plus/

If you don't want to click through then the executive summary is that it's great, but not really a necessary upgrade if you've already got a Pro. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that.  I’ve just bought the pro version, which I love. But I’m a bit miffed that they’ve just brought out an upgrade. So I was very interested to read your impression. Just in passing, are you sure you want to mention you’ll shill for free stuff? Definition of shill: “an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler who poses as a genuine customer to entice or encourage others”.  I guess it’s tongue in cheek, but not everyone might see the joke. 

Did you mention what the WiFi range of the new device is? Maybe I missed it. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Thanks for that.  I’ve just bought the pro version, which I love. But I’m a bit miffed that they’ve just brought out an upgrade. So I was very interested to read your impression. Just in passing, are you sure you want to mention you’ll shill for free stuff? Definition of shill: “an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler who poses as a genuine customer to entice or encourage others”.  I guess it’s tongue in cheek, but not everyone might see the joke. 

Did you mention what the WiFi range of the new device is? Maybe I missed it. 

Haha, it's definitely tongue in cheek, but I see your point that the humour could be lost in translation! I've removed that line now.

Re: wireless range, good point, I'll add a bit about that. To save you the trouble of re-reading the review, ZWO state that the wireless range is 20 metres. My Plus is 15 metres from my router, through two brick walls and glass conservatory doors, and it's been ok so far.

• Like 1

to be fair an 'influencer' is just a shill with a trendy name. they should change the definition to say that. everyone seems to be happy to do it these days - reading out adverts like they love this product or that product like america. ruddy awful if you ask me.

good review.  I luv my asiairs - Cuiv, lazy geek on youtube got one to review (video on youtube) and seems to like it - he was a nina user, and his videos on using nina always have been shouting 'try an asiair' at the screen. it'd be intersting to see his next video where he uses it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, powerlord said:

Hi, just a note that if yer transfer apped is slow its the WiFi not the device. I get 2mb/s fine. I. E. About 4 secs to download preview image. I'd imagine yer plus is on the cusp edge of your home WiFi and causing slowness.

Stu

Yep, the speed does vary as you explain. I've added a line to the review to hopefully make that clearer. Thanks :)

Edited by Lee_P

I’m very new to astrophotography but I’m definitely interested in acquiring one of these when they are available to the general user complete with a ZWO guide camera and main camera.

I’ve yet to determine which main camera I want/can afford and hoping that RVO will soon be open to go in and browse where I can get some advice.

Could be a few items to put on my Xmas wish list.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobInYorkshire said:

I’m very new to astrophotography but I’m definitely interested in acquiring one of these when they are available to the general user complete with a ZWO guide camera and main camera.

I’ve yet to determine which main camera I want/can afford and hoping that RVO will soon be open to go in and browse where I can get some advice.

Could be a few items to put on my Xmas wish list.

FLO have just listed them here. My guess is that supply / demand issues mean you need to get an order in quickly if you want one this side of Christmas.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

FLO have just listed them here. My guess is that supply / demand issues mean you need to get an order in quickly if you want one this side of Christmas.

Thanks, I’ve just been on and preordered one. Now all I’ve got to do is get my head around the camera side of things, so many to choose from and so many different options, I’ve got some research to do but a few weeks to choose.

• Like 1

I've got the V1 and it has been an absolute game changer for me. But here's my question - is there any merit in upgrading, to either the Pro or Plus? 

I'm into astrophotography but my camera is a Sony a5000 and so far, ZWO don't intrude to add Sony cameras to the list of compatible brands. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stickey said:

I've got the V1 and it has been an absolute game changer for me. But here's my question - is there any merit in upgrading, to either the Pro or Plus? 

I'm into astrophotography but my camera is a Sony a5000 and so far, ZWO don't intrude to add Sony cameras to the list of compatible brands. 

I haven't used the V1 -- maybe someone that has experience of both the V1 and the Pro / Plus can help. Failing that, I guess my question to you would be: is there anything you wish your V1 did that it doesn't? (Other than control your Sony camera).

9 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

I haven't used the V1 -- maybe someone that has experience of both the V1 and the Pro / Plus can help. Failing that, I guess my question to you would be: is there anything you wish your V1 did that it doesn't? (Other than control your Sony camera).

I think that's the point. I don't think I'm missing anything - yet.  I don't have a proper ZWO astro camera,  only a 120mm-mini for guiding and PA. Nor do I have an EAF or Filter Wheel or dew straps - again, yet.

I think the ASIAirs are great,  so as I develop my abilities,  I'll look out for an upgrade at some point. 

• Like 1

Is the wifi on the plus omnidirectional? On the pro the signal strength can vary wildly depending on its orientation, before slewing to a target I can have full strength showing and after slewing it's "connection lost".

Jarno

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jarno_c said:

Is the wifi on the plus omnidirectional? On the pro the signal strength can vary wildly depending on its orientation, before slewing to a target I can have full strength showing and after slewing it's "connection lost".

Jarno

It's been ok for me so far, but I haven't actually tried post-meridian flip. You can angle the antenna.