Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

At last I saw airy disc's

At last I saw airy disc's it started out looking like a pear but the more I defocused the rounder it got looking good.

I also got to use my new televue delos 4.5mm on Jupiter and the bands of red really stood out.

The rings of Saturn where crystal clear and the creators on the moon where very clear aswell. 

I don't know how I couldn't find it properly looking at the wrong stars but finally saw the ring nebula, hope we get more clear night's so much more to find

• Like 7

If you can keep your eyepieces a little warmer than the scope is (ie: in a bag / foam lined case) they won't dew or mist up.

Dew heaters are available for both finders and eyepieces although they are a fiddle to use with eyepieces as the heater has to be changed each time the eyepiece is. Better to keep the eyepieces slightly above outside temperature I think.

A DIY card / thin camping mat dew shield might work for the finder - something about 60mm long ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Starslayer said:

Love this post. What scope are you using?   I am fuzzy chasing too but also interested in the tv ep ..    i should be finding ring neb but can I?  Can I be………….. ‘erd.  

The Ring Nebula I've managed several times earlier this year from my suburban back garden with my 150mm heritage dob, and surprised myself by seeing it with my 102mm refractor too.  Needed averted vision in the frac to spot the tiny fuzzy doughnut though. No filter used , just 15mm or 18mm eyepiece .

• Like 2

On 18/09/2021 at 00:06, John said:

Dew heaters are available for both finders and eyepieces although they are a fiddle to use with eyepieces as the heater has to be changed each time the eyepiece is.

For that reason I often wrap the dew strip round the top of the diagonal, with the thought that a little transferred heat will reach the eyepiece. It seems to work well, and avoids the need to fit it to each eyepiece.

• Like 3

On 18/09/2021 at 00:01, Dave scutt said:

Skies still very clear but too much dew on finder scope  and ep's so no more for tonight . Can you get a dew heater for finder scope and ep's and if so what would you recommend thanks 

When I made my 'scopes dew shields (from 3mm closed cell  foam left over from constructing a shroud for my little heritage dob) I got carried away and made a tiny dew shield for one of my finders , it fits snugly and stays on the finder's built in front dew shield. My intention was to slide it forward as needed, but I never have needed to, and I've no  idea if it helps . But it doesn't hurt, and is unobtrusive, so I leave it on .

In the summer I've had my eyepieces outside in their case on a table , and closed the lid (but not latched it) over them when they are not in the 'scope. Putting it down on the grass would be too damp (despite it being a waterproof case ) , and the ground would conduct heat away as well, chilling the eyepieces and making condensation more likely.

In the winter when it is colder I use a waist bag padded with extra foam to keep the eyepieces safe and warm between uses.

Heather

• Like 1