Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I took a punt on an Atik 383!

assouptro

Hi Stargazers

I am an Atik fan. 

It seems quite old school, most of the images I see these days on this forum are from CMOS chips but there are some older CCD cameras now available second hand at really good prices! 

I found this Atik 383 on UKabs for £550! 

Incredibly, there was some clear skies last night! A few clouds bobbing in and out of view but I was able to get some data to play with

I have some serious tilt issues in my very long image train that I’m not sure I’ll ever get to grips with   and pairing the 383 to my 12” Meade SCT with 6.3 Focal reducer was testing! 

I have processed and slightly cropped the result to improve the noise and dodgy stars but I can see this Camera works and will hopefully give me years of fun offering a slightly wider FOV with some of my other scopes.

I thought I’d share my initial results 

It’s 90min of 10min exposures binned 2x2 in Ha, flats, dark flats and bias. No Darks. 

F2B4234A-0813-4F15-9183-D4CA83D388C8.thumb.jpeg.c2f7d437f09a3f88348d06fc078bb288.jpeg

It looks like the camera works! 

Thanks for looking 

Bryan 

• Like 16

Great image - I remember having a few Atik cameras over the years - an Atik mono HR and a couple of Atik 16ic cameras (one colour, one mono) - I think the only issue with those cameras was the size of the sensor (compared to today's CMOS cameras) + I tried using the mono Atik 16ic camera as a guide camera, and since it was only USB1 it took ages to calibrate with PHD2. However, they did produce good images though. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AstroAndy said:

By now, I own the Atik 314L, the 383L Plus, and the 16200, and am love them all (which is not to say that I don't love my ASI 294mm pro, and the 2 120 s).

I have the 314, 460, 490, 383, a 6d, 20d, 40d, 650d asi290, fLI Blackfly and some guide cameras!

I think we might have issues! 😂

Lovely image.. I still think this chip, over 10 years on, has so much to offer. I have the QSI (same chip) on the main setup (Esprit150) in the Obsy. It's just so nice to work with. I've been messing about with alternate set-ups with the CMOS ones & other scopes in my sig but with lack of long enough periods of clear skies & work getting in the way I don't have any finished images. I really need to setup another obsy or 3 but the Wife's not having it so the Telegizmos cover has been earning its keep. As you can see I still have 3.. yes 3 314L+ Atik's .. I haven't used in a while but they are such lovely little cameras.. need no darks.. I've not been able to bring myself to let them go... they work nicely with the RC for small stuff if I ever get around to conquering the collimation and setup another obsy I'll put one on that again.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sp@ce_d said:

Lovely image.. I still think this chip, over 10 years on, has so much to offer. I have the QSI (same chip) on the main setup (Esprit150) in the Obsy. It's just so nice to work with. I've been messing about with alternate set-ups with the CMOS ones & other scopes in my sig but with lack of long enough periods of clear skies & work getting in the way I don't have any finished images. I really need to setup another obsy or 3 but the Wife's not having it so the Telegizmos cover has been earning its keep. As you can see I still have 3.. yes 3 314L+ Atik's .. I haven't used in a while but they are such lovely little cameras.. need no darks.. I've not been able to bring myself to let them go... they work nicely with the RC for small stuff if I ever get around to conquering the collimation and setup another obsy I'll put one on that again.

Thanks for the comment

3, 314’s! 
awesome! 

I don’t have the space for an Obsy or3! And rely on the telegizmo covers over my home made pier with a dehumidifier inside keeping the rust at bay

I may eventually get a cmos chip, I think it’s inevitable, but I just love the familiar reliability of the mono CCD cameras, albeit slower and reliant on good guiding 😊

• Like 1

The 383 is a great camera, the photons coming down don’t know if they hitting old or new tech.

The new Ford Mustang is all electric and cutting edge tech, but I’m glad the car chase in Bullitt was filmed with the old one.

• Like 2

When I got my QSI and took that first frame I thought the KAF-8300 was the most scariest sensor I'd seen.. I was used to the Atik 314L+.. so much snowstorm & bad columns!!.. and QSI were not a cheap brand!  But man.. dither and calibrate!!.. wow.. still takes a lot to beat it.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sp@ce_d said:

When I got my QSI and took that first frame I thought the KAF-8300 was the most scariest sensor I'd seen.. I was used to the Atik 314L+.. so much snowstorm & bad columns!!.. and QSI were not a cheap brand!  But man.. dither and calibrate!!.. wow.. still takes a lot to beat it.. 

I hear you! 
I am used to the smaller cleaner sensors in the 314, 460, and 490 but I can see, like you, with dithering and the right calibration this sensor will be so much fun! 
cheers 

Bryan 

One more, same night, another 95 min of 15min subs through clouds, only one of the subs was cloud free! 
0275B55B-C3F5-44F7-B3EB-8A00C62A060F.thumb.jpeg.f29e039e293bb7d8315cfd80b19de18c.jpeg

I am looking forward to matching this sensor to other scopes to play with the wider fov 

And, honestly, I think it was a bargain! 
Bryan 

Edited by assouptro
  • Like 2

I have the 314, 460, 490, 383, a 6d, 20d, 40d, 650d asi290, fLI Blackfly and some guide cameras!

I think we might have issues!

I think we might have a slight case of Atikitis, which is a benign condition which, at most, leads to an increased -> exposure to nightly outside conditions. As long as we don't start thinking we're owls, we should be fine. 😂

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 17/09/2021 at 15:06, assouptro said:

Hi Stargazers

I am an Atik fan. 

It seems quite old school, most of the images I see these days on this forum are from CMOS chips but there are some older CCD cameras now available second hand at really good prices! 

Not old school at all especially as the 383 is still a current model while Atik supply of of 8300 sensors lasts, and now retails for £2 grand.

I wouldn't give up my mono CCD's for any cmos even though I own an ASI533 OSC cmos which compliments them.

the 383 is an amazing camera and the 8300 sensor is probably the cleanest Kodak/ on semi sensor ever made, if cooled properly to -20c and running on the recommended 15v power supply my 383 is as clean in 10 min subs as my Atik460 with sony sensor ( but not as good with short subs ), barely any more warm pixels than the Sony chips. both are far cleaner than say an ASI1600, and miles cleaner than any of the 183 / 294 Starburst gen cmos sensors.

the importance of lack of fixed pattern noise and Amp glow is much more important in real world imaging than sensitivity and read noise in my opinion. The only cmos I think get close are the latest zero amp glow models like the 533 that I own, but even with that dithering is much more important to deal with the fixed pattern noise.

Ive taken single 30 min subs that look like a final stacks from other cameras .

Sorry I just love these cameras

Lee 

• Like 1

On 17/09/2021 at 09:34, iantaylor2uk said:

Great image - I remember having a few Atik cameras over the years - an Atik mono HR and a couple of Atik 16ic cameras (one colour, one mono) - I think the only issue with those cameras was the size of the sensor (compared to today's CMOS cameras) + I tried using the mono Atik 16ic camera as a guide camera, and since it was only USB1 it took ages to calibrate with PHD2. However, they did produce good images though. 

Try setting PHD to use subframes and it will work much faster with the 16ic.  

Thank you for this thread. You have helped me to make up my mind about my Atik 428EX Mono camera. I will keep it alongside my ASI 1600mm Pro.

I was currently going to sell it. But seeing this thread reassures me CCD is not dead by any means. 

What I like about CCD, very little noise and longer subs without amp glow with good set point cooling, without taking darks.

Thank you.

Edited by Skyline
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Skyline said:

Thank you for this thread. You have helped me to make up my mind about my Atik 428EX Mono camera. I will keep it alongside my ASI 1600mm Pro.

I was currently going to sell it. But seeing this thread reassures me CCD is not dead by any means. 

What I like about CCD, very little noise and longer subs without amp glow with good set point cooling, without taking darks.

Thank you.

Absolutely ccd isn't dead.. just because a few cmos freaks say it doesn't make it true,and most of them have never used a ccd, just repeat what's said... now id say the 571 sensor is an interesting one, which could twist my arm a little but at the moment my 460 very much excites me with every sub that comes in

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Absolutely ccd isn't dead.. just because a few cmos freaks say it doesn't make it true,and most of them have never used a ccd, just repeat what's said... now id say the 571 sensor is an interesting one, which could twist my arm a little but at the moment my 460 very much excites me with every sub that comes in

The 571 is an interesting one!  I spent the last 2-3 years using the KAF8300 sensors, and found very little wrong indeed!  But the lure of new technology got the better of me and I moved to the 571.