Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tiny Coat Hanger

Kimboman

Hi set up early this evening in anticipation of another promising night.

At 7.45 I located Jupiter and set my Celestron 6SE on to it with the goto and viewed it but it was still to low and the sky was still fairly light.

I left the Celestron running and went over the road to view the moon using my Meade ETX manually on a tripod and my binoviewer  the views were great  with the cup handle very prominent.

As the sky had darkened I went back to the Celestron and Jupiter was still dead centre (love goto),looked at Jupiter which by now was magnificent but once again a roof blocked my view.

I decided to take the Goto tour which was very good I view M13,M31 various double stars  M57 and the coat hanger I scrolled down the list and the mini coat hanger came up and there it was in the eyepiece I had never heard of this before so this was a first

for me  all in all fabulous night then the clouds and the condensation appeared and that was that.

• Like 6

On 17/09/2021 at 06:09, Kimboman said:

Hi set up early this evening in anticipation of another promising night.

At 7.45 I located Jupiter and set my Celestron 6SE on to it with the goto and viewed it but it was still to low and the sky was still fairly light.

I left the Celestron running and went over the road to view the moon using my Meade ETX manually on a tripod and my binoviewer  the views were great  with the cup handle very prominent.

As the sky had darkened I went back to the Celestron and Jupiter was still dead centre (love goto),looked at Jupiter which by now was magnificent but once again a roof blocked my view.

I decided to take the Goto tour which was very good I view M13,M31 various double stars  M57 and the coat hanger I scrolled down the list and the mini coat hanger came up and there it was in the eyepiece I had never heard of this before so this was a first

for me  all in all fabulous night then the clouds and the condensation appeared and that was that.

Nice work Kimboman! I have also never heard of the mini Coathanger. Which constellation is it located in? Thanks and clear skies!

Hi I was using the celestron  plus handset for my 6se which has a tour button which will show items of interest in the area  of the sky  for the date and location you are viewing I scrolled through looking at the objects that came up and the tiny coat hanger appeared I pressed the button and off the telescope went it is located in the Plough.

I will try to tie it down to a specific area should we get a clear night it was very sharp and noticeable

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kimboman said:

Hi it’s in Ursa Minor

RA 16hrs 37’ 9’’ DEC+80deg 16’ 19’’ located just off a line from Zeta I’m a corner star in the bowl of um first bright star in the handle 

Thanks for the info👍 Unfortunately I'm in Australia and have never even seen the Plough as it's too far north😭. I will have to live vicariously through your reports of the region in my imagination. Thanks and clear skies 😊

• Like 1