Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Work and astronomy

AstroTiger

hi there

i was thinking over the years as i have changed from one job to another, how in one way shape or forum i have taken my love of astronomy with me.

Fellow colleagues have become inspired and also taken it up as i have moved on.

more recently at work i have spoken to other engineers about astronomy, and even ended up giving help and advise to ppl on how to get started.

I think the point i am making is, how great it is to be the one who inspires interest in such an amazing thing as astronomy.

I am sure you all have similar stories to tell as well

Al

I find that many people are interested and amazed when you show them the night sky. They don't necessarily rush off and buy a scope, but they are more appreciative of what's up there.

So far I have had responses varying from Wow, how amazing to "is that it" to "very nice but what do you do when you have seen everything!". It's lovely when someone else is on the same wavelength.

Some people can't get excited about seeing a faint smudge which is actually a distant galaxy containing billions of stars the light from which has taken millions of years to reach us and is a site most likely full of intelligent beings staring at us through their own scopes. No imagination I guess.

In my 20 years of working life i have only met one other who's hobby was astronomy.

On a different tact I was flicking through the channels last week when on price drop TV they were selling a 4.5" reflector for under £50, was not concentrating that much, but they sold 70 of them! So there are at least 70 more in the fold, if they are selling that many weekly / monthly there will be many more astronomers around.

Darron

I think the point i am making is, how great it is to be the one who inspires interest in such an amazing thing as astronomy.

I guess I am fortunate in that inspiring and encouraging an interest in astronomy is part of my work.

I tend to find that if someone has a "related" hobby - say photography then they tend to be more interested than those without.

But I was sitting at work the other day and I said to my boss that I was popping outside to have a look at the eclipse and I'd be 5 min's. His reply was mostly unpostable on the forum but did include the classic "you'd do better to psend 5 minutes surfing the internet for [removed word]" :shock:

So I've given up trying to talk to people about it.

Ant

Most people I discuss the hobby with are v.interested. In fact I'm on an external course this week and found the chap who is next to me owns a scope and will be signing up to the forum!!

Cool... recruitment drive.

Rob

Steve, yoiu must have used that line a dozen times... but I have to admit (and I don't know why) but it makes me smile everytime!!!

Yes there is and no I didn't Daz! [removed word] will still be there the next day but the eclipse won't!

Ant

I guess I am fortunate in that inspiring and encouraging an interest in astronomy is part of my work.

Half our members are your customers, aren't they?? :) :roll: :lol:

Today, one of them, Robgoldsmith - a customer and SGL member - had an article about him that featured his astronomy and imaging in Exeters Express & Echo.

Heres his website:

http://www.robsastrophotography.co.uk/index.htm

Well done Rob :thumbright:

Nice one Steve, it always great to hear about stuff from other astronomers getting published.

I've been looking through his website! I'm amazed what he has been able to do with a DOB.

Brilliant.

Ant

Archived