SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Synscan RJ-11 / DB9 link cable

Philobr

Hi there, 

I have an EQM35PRO Synscan goto but don't have the cable needed to do the firmware update.

RJ-11 / DB9 link cable

I looked online but can only find the DB9/USB adapter.

Anyone know where I can get the cable that goes into the handset then into the pc?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Philobr said:

Hi there, 

I have an EQM35PRO Synscan goto but don't have the cable needed to do the firmware update.

RJ-11 / DB9 link cable

I looked online but can only find the DB9/USB adapter.

Anyone know where I can get the cable that goes into the handset then into the pc?

Thanks.

According to my EQM35 instruction manual (Part X, page 34), to update the firmware you just need a standard USB type B cable which plugs into the USB socket on the handset and the USB socket on a PC.  The online firmware update instructions do not appear to have been updated for the latest handsets that now have a USB port rather than a serial port. (I've had the mount for 2 years now and the firmware has been updated since I purchased it, but as it does everything without a problem, I've never felt the need to update it.)

• If the sysnscan box where the motor cables plug into is one of the newer units that has a USB type B port then you can use a standard USB A-B cable
  • If the synscan box has just the power / handset / autoguide ports then an EQDIR cable (the second link in Peters post) can be used by removing the handset and plugging this cable in to the handset port.  Windows should install the driver automatically
  • An alternative (and expensive) way is to purchase a serial to USB cable like this and then purchase the cable Peter linked to first.  This is connected to the HANDSET and the handset is left connected to the mount.  You then set the handset to PC-DIRECT mode to allow pass through communications to the mount.

Personally if the Synscan unit doesn't have a USB port I would opt for the second suggestion and use the LYNX Astro EQDIR cable.

Edited by malc-c
typo

• 1 month later...
On 15/09/2021 at 19:51, Cornelius Varley said:

Thanks

On 15/09/2021 at 19:51, Cornelius Varley said:

On 16/09/2021 at 13:13, malc-c said:
  • If the sysnscan box where the motor cables plug into is one of the newer units that has a USB type B port then you can use a standard USB A-B cable
  • If the synscan box has just the power / handset / autoguide ports then an EQDIR cable (the second link in Peters post) can be used by removing the handset and plugging this cable in to the handset port.  Windows should install the driver automatically
  • An alternative (and expensive) way is to purchase a serial to USB cable like this and then purchase the cable Peter linked to first.  This is connected to the HANDSET and the handset is left connected to the mount.  You then set the handset to PC-DIRECT mode to allow pass through communications to the mount.

Personally if the Synscan unit doesn't have a USB port I would opt for the second suggestion and use the LYNX Astro EQDIR cable.

Thanks