Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kelling Heath Oct 2021

jonstarrysky

Depending on the weather, I might come up on the Saturday, in the Motorhome, stay overnight, and go home on Sunday. 

Won't be bringing any gear, just visiting.

I note from the list of Traders that FLO and Modern Astronomy aren't listed, possibly along with others that used to attend. It must be at least 10 years+ since I last visited,.

Any-one who hasn't booked will have a job to get in as it is always oversubscribed.  Best to ring Kelling Heath and ask to make sure you can get in.

I shall be there as usual in a Caravan on T311.   Lets hope we get some clear skies this year, last year was the first one in over 10 years where I didn't get a single night of imaging in 4 nights.

Carole 

10 hours ago, carastro said:

Any-one who hasn't booked will have a job to get in as it is always oversubscribed.  Best to ring Kelling Heath and ask to make sure you can get in.

I shall be there as usual in a Caravan on T311.   Lets hope we get some clear skies this year, last year was the first one in over 10 years where I didn't get a single night of imaging in 4 nights.

Carole 

I managed to polaralign and then it was cloudy! it's bound to be cloudy this time as I've a new camera! Though I did get a week of trying it out at home last month. My first CMOS, an ASI533 for starparties.

• Like 1

I think it may depend on what information you are looking for. As noted already the Autumn star party is run by Loughton AS. The running of the Spring one is now being taken over by Kelling themselves. It is also true that the campsite is almost certainly fully booked for the Autumn star party so just turning up in hope may not work. I understand that most of the campsites in that area are pretty much fully booked through  the end of November. As for the star party the main changes this year is that there will be no talks due to Covid issues. The vendor row will be there on the main Saturday as usual. I don't believe FLO ever go to shows and this one would be too far for them anyway. I believe the raffle will take place. I am not sure if the telecope tour will be taking place either due to Covid. The other changes may well be that people will be unlikely to allow viewing through their scopes, again due to Covid precautions.

People will be able to visit during the day by parking in the parking lot and looking around.. As for the weather moving the star aprty to October to allow Kelling to make the most of the Forties weekend in September may well mean that the chances of decent weather will disappear. I do wonder for the future of the star party thanks to this move. remeber the Autumn star party is one of the largets in the world with maybe 700 people there and people tend to cluster in their own groups.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Will_does_astro said:

Hi,

I don’t mean to be cheeky, but I’m staying at Kelling Heath in one of the lodges on our annual holiday, any chance I can pop down one evening and introduce myself?

There's nothing to stop you going and saying hello to people, but you'd best do it during the daytime.  I'm at Kelling now, and though the covid restrictions are less than last year, many people won't welcome people coming round at night time as your likely to get closer to people than they wish.  The organisers say you shouldn't touch other folks equipment unless you sanitise your hands first, and have been invited.  Sharing eyepieces is not encouraged.  Many people are more strict and you must be sensitive to people's concerns.   I' won't be sharing telescopes or encouraging people to stop by after dark, even If I know them.  I'm not unsociable, but cautious.  As I said, the day time would be much better.

If you're still around on Saturday, do come for the trade day.  There are at least a dozen traders who have stands, and many people sell all sorts of goodies from their pitches.  Many stands will be up and running from about 9 am 

• Thanks 1

On 05/10/2021 at 19:39, Will_does_astro said:

Hi,

I don’t mean to be cheeky, but I’m staying at Kelling Heath in one of the lodges on our annual holiday, any chance I can pop down one evening and introduce myself?

If you talk to folk in the day, maybe some will say its ok to pop back for some observing at night. Fine by me for a bit. Kelling is now the only time I get to use my scope so I’m pretty busy

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I’ll pop down one day when I find space in our holiday itinerary.

I totally understand people being cautious with the current Covid situation as we don’t want to undo any progress we have made.

My good lady is more of a casual visual observer than myself, I’m starting down the astrophotography route and don’t get the chance to chat with other like minded folk.

Hope to see some of you before we head home on Sunday.

I am thinking of popping down on Saturday as I am local and want to visit the local astronomy club who will pitched there :D Hoping to join in one of the future star parties now the inlaws have bought a motorhome.

<edit, didn't fully read one of the posts above answered!> 

I am wanting to see if I can spot how big an 8" / 10" Dob actually is and say see we can fit that in the garage honest! 😛 

Edited by wibblefish