Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First time using NexImage 10 camera for Jupiter & Saturn

Hi,

I am a beginner at astrophotography although have done visual for a year or so. I will be using my CPC1100 tonight.

I have a few questions to ask you, please - 

1. Do I use the NexImage 10 with a diagonal or straight through? I currently have a Baader prism installed for my visual work. I have a 1.25" reducer on it

2. When taking videos of the planets, how long should I make the videos for? (Assuming average to good, fairly steady seeing conditions.)

3. Can the camera also take stills? 

4. I was thinking of doing my alignment with an eyepiece in my diagonal, getting Jupiter centered and tracking steady in, say, a 12mm eyepiece and then pop in the camera so that I don't have to hunt around for him too much. Sound OK??

5. Any other tips you can give me, please?

I am also hoping to film Saturn, too

Thank you, wish me luck!!!

Siouxsie 

4 minutes ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

Do I use the NexImage 10 with a diagonal or straight through?

I think most imagers would discard the diagonal to reduce any aberrations caused by the diagonal.

6 minutes ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

Can the camera also take stills? 

Possibly. The instruction manual should give you that info.

6 minutes ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

I was thinking of doing my alignment with an eyepiece in my diagonal, getting Jupiter centered and tracking steady in, say, a 12mm eyepiece and then pop in the camera so that I don't have to hunt around for him too much. Sound OK??

Another option would be to use a flip mirror. The camera is mounted on the back of the flip mirror and the eyepiece attached to the top port. The mirror can lower/raised to allow viewing through the eyepiece or imaging. The flip mirror also has the added advantage  in that the eyepiece and camera can be made parfocal so no need to readjust the focus between centring the target and switching to the camera. 

• Like 2

On 12/09/2021 at 10:14, Cornelius Varley said:

I think most imagers would discard the diagonal to reduce any aberrations caused by the diagonal.

Possibly. The instruction manual should give you that info.

Another option would be to use a flip mirror. The camera is mounted on the back of the flip mirror and the eyepiece attached to the top port. The mirror can lower/raised to allow viewing through the eyepiece or imaging. The flip mirror also has the added advantage  in that the eyepiece and camera can be made parfocal so no need to readjust the focus between centring the target and switching to the camera. 

Thanks for your insights & advice, Peter, it is appreciated. 

Btw, is that a V7 the guy is riding on your avatar? I'm a big Guzzi fan. No bike at the moment but previously had a Le Mans Mk1 & a lovely V50 Monza