Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binoculars.

argonaut

Hello Dan,

My 100's turned up today. Looking at your APM's they certainly look the same to me. I'll post a couple of pics tomorrow.

Of course the 'curse' struck and it's raining.

I just gave them a check over and everything looks OK. Need to get them under the stars. They did come with a couple of sets of eyepieces. I thought I would try one of my BGO's in the focusers and it fit very well. Something to look at in the future.

Clear Skies.

Glen.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan,

I remember you asking about collimation in your binoculars.

Not sure if it will help or not. Go over to Cloudy nights binocular forum. There is someone who lives in England and can collimate binoculars. Look under Carl Zeiss 10x50 Jenoptem...my first post. The member is IanH.

I was going to supply a link,but it would be a little long.

Hope this helps a little.

Glen.

Dan,

I remember you asking about collimation in your binoculars.

Not sure if it will help or not. Go over to Cloudy nights binocular forum. There is someone who lives in England and can collimate binoculars. Look under Carl Zeiss 10x50 Jenoptem...my first post. The member is IanH.

I was going to supply a link,but it would be a little long.

Hope this helps a little.

Glen.

thanks Glen. I might do some phoning around.

Talking about pain, I do find I can't hold them up for too long, say 10 minutes at the most, but perhaps I'm just a weakling! Of course, the view through them can be quite jumpy, but I have been able to make out the phases of Venus recently. It takes a lot of patience and a lot of practice at steadying the hand, but I'm pretty convinced I've made the phases out.

Amanda

At Astrofest 2009 someone told me about the binoflex, a mirror binocular mounting. The only people who sell it are The Astronomy & Nature http://www.astronomyandnature.com/ (or http://www.scopesnskies.com/ ...I think they're the same people...not sure :lol: ), though they're out of stock

:blob8:

Thanks Billy,

It seemed to have worked. That makes a change for me.

Nice set up by the way. I would love to have a space like that to observe from instead of my backyard.

Thanks again.

Glen.

Cheers Glen,

The truncating of URL's is a handy feature in VBulletin...

I use the a fishing bank chair with the bino mount although its designed so that it can be used from a standing position to laying on the ground with the binos hovering above your eyes...

I use them for scanning the skies whilst the scopes are imaging...

They arent the best 25x100s but give reasonable views...

There arew some more pics of them in simulated use here... ignore the short fat bloke with the greying hair he was the only model available at the time (me) :lol:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/PsychoBillyUK/BinoMount#

They tend to look a bit silly with the 10x50's on them... I have a Meade MySky which I use for "push-to" with the mount and a RDF on the 25x100 bins...

Take it you have seen the scoeps in the obs as well :blob8:

http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?t=75711

BIlly...

Rosanella,

I have owned a binocular mirror system. This was a SkyWindow by the Trico Machine Manufacturing in the States. I thought I would go with the 'Gold Mirror' option which said any mag upto 22x. They were right in the upto bit.

I had a pair of Pentax 20x60's at the time. Got all excited about the view I was going to get. The view was shocking. The image was soft and not usable at all,flairing of stars was really bad. The image was usable (just)at 15x.

So I'm not a fan of these mirror systems. I must say that some swear by them....the best thing since sliced bread. Sadly it didn't work out for me.

Glen.

Hi Billy,

I'm a short fat bloke with no hair :lol:

I like the observatory. Looks really pro.

I'm not a lover of the large mounts. I would probably take someone's eye out with it. Also layed on the floor it would take me two Tramadol to get up.Just like to keep things more compact with the space I have.

I've got to sort a finder out for the new bino's. It will be a RDF of some kind though. Use them all the time for all my optics.

Still got the new kit cloud at the moment.

Glen.

I built and used a front surface mirror table for the 15x80 Bino's.

Think it was originally based on a photocopier mirror, but found it wasn't as good as advertised. Dewed up all the time and the image wasn't as good as promised!!

The broom handle ended up being "the" solution.

Rosanella,

I had a pair of Pentax 20x60's at the time. Got all excited about the view I was going to get. The view was shocking. The image was soft and not usable at all,flairing of stars was really bad. The image was usable (just)at 15x.

So I'm not a fan of these mirror systems. I must say that some swear by them....the best thing since sliced bread. Sadly it didn't work out for me.

Glen.

Do you think they're a waste of money? :lol:

Rosanella,

The mirror system, if it's a good first surface mirror, supported correctly and kept dew free ( a dew zapper wrapped around the edge?), should work well.

I think some of the models (??) must have pretty poor mirrors. The DIY one I used I think didn't have the surface accuracy required??!

I have a pair of Meade 10x50s, but my main pair are Helios Apollo 15x70s. I bought these based on rave reviews of the same thing sold under a different name in the US. They weren't cheap, but well worth it, as at the moment they are my main observing instrument. I use them mounted on a Horizon 8115 tripod which does a good enough job, although viewing at the zenith can be awkward, but that's to be expected :lol:.

Hi Dave,

Yes, they are very good bino's. I have the Garrett 15x70 Signature version. Have a look at the Farsight mount for them. It's a very nice piece of kit. I think SCS Astro stock it. Not seen it at FLO yet.

Glen.

I have a pair of William Optics 7x50. They're heavy and well built. The views through them are very sharp. I've seen comet Lumin for the first time the other night. For some reason I have always found viewing comets is better in binoculars than in telescopes. I also like to view open clusters and these binoculars are very good at picking them out.

I did have the Lidl binoculars, optically they're good for the price and fine if you're going to use them in the back garden. I have found that they don't travel well and the optics soon mis-align.

Archived