SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Where is comet Lulin tonight

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those using Stellarium, if you post the following into the end of the ssystem.ini file, it will add Lulin to the datbase.

Works well. You can then search for c/2007 and it'll find Lulin for you.

All you need then are clear skies....:lol:

[lulin]

name = C/2007 N3 (Lulin)

parent = Sun

radius = 100

oblateness = 0.0

halo = true

color = 1.0,1.0,1.0

tex_halo = star16x16.png

tex_map = nomap.png

coord_func = comet_orbit

orbit_TimeAtPericenter = 2454842.6414

orbit_PericenterDistance = 1.212289

orbit_Eccentricity = .999987

orbit_ArgOfPericenter = 136.8614

orbit_AscendingNode = 338.5353

orbit_Inclination = 178.373

lighting = false

albedo = 1

orbit_visualization_period = 10000000000

Hi Jarndyce,

I sometimes use Stellarium but am not a computer whizz.... where is this elusive ssystem.ini file? In my programs menu, when I open the Stellarium folder all I get is a 'config.ini' file and an 'uninstall' file.:lol:

stef

Thanks very much for the Stellarium map Jarndyce. Really helpful, a great programme.

Stef, you should be able to find a folder called Programme Files (not the programme menu), mine is C:\Program Files but may be different for you. In that file you need to find Stellarium, then go to data, the ssystem.ini file should be in there. Open that with notepad then scroll to the bottom hit enter a couple of times then paste the text Jarndyce posted. And don't forget to go file and save.

Hope this helps.

Jordan

Jordan's tip should do it Stef.

I use Macs, so the file locations are different.

For those who also use Macs, the entire program is kept within one file. Right click on the Stellarium app and choose "show package contents".

ssystem.ini is in one of the folders. Resources/data, I think.

Hi all.

I added Lulin to Stellarium, and have been speeding the time up to see how fast the comet moves.

I noticed that on Saturday evening (7th), it passes under the moon.

The sun won't have set long before this happens, so the sky will probably still be too bright.

But I was just wondering if, a couple of hours after this when Lulin is still close to the moon, will it be visible at all in the moon's glare?

i.e. will the proximity of the comet to the moon make it easier to find, or will it be difficult to see being so close to the moon.

Cheers

hi Jarndyce, I tried adding the text but when I opened stellarium I got the following message - I'm running linux - might that be the problem:icon_scratch:

Application locale is system

Localizing TUI for locale: system

Loading Solar System data...ERROR : can't find posfunc comet_orbit for C/2007 N3 (Lulin)

thanks for your help.

hi Jarndyce, I tried adding the text but when I opened stellarium I got the following message - I'm running linux - might that be the problem:icon_scratch:

Application locale is system

Localizing TUI for locale: system

Loading Solar System data...ERROR : can't find posfunc comet_orbit for C/2007 N3 (Lulin)

thanks for your help.

Sorry to hear that. Haven't tried it with Linux, but can't see why it should be different.

Have you tried removing the text and resaving ssystem.ini?

This should be done in a plain text editor.

If that doesn't work, reinstall to revert to the original file and try again.

Check that the text you insert is exactly as in earlier post.

Good luck.

Cheers for the tip Jordan. Just tried it. In the 'Data' menu I found a 'ssystem' file but not an 'ssystem.ini' file. I added the text anyway, saved it and.....Stellarium didn't load at all!:blob8:

I've just deleted the text from the 'ssystem' file and it works again!:):lol:

Would it help if I hit my computer....I usually find that works with most electronic equipment!:):)

Stef

Not sure, Stefski. :lol:

On the Mac version there's only ssystem.ini

It's possible that your system is not showing file extensions?

Open in a plain text editor. Check the syntax and make sure there's a line space after the last entry. Then paste the entry and save as ssystem.ini

Try again and see if it works.

As a precaution, backup your working ssystem file first.

Hope it works!

I'm not exactly sure then to be honest Stef.

The only thing I can think of is to make sure you open it with notepad.(right click open with..... if needed).

Or maybe you could rename the file with the extension .ini so ssystem.ini.:lol:

Sorry I can't be more helpful

Jordan

Archived