Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where is comet Lulin tonight

Hi, had a quick scan with my 15x70 binos lookig for Lulin around Leo but no joy. I was expecting it near Saturn moving towards Regulus in next few days?

Went back in to try and find out more info, but now it's cloudy again:sad:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

same here, cloudy early on but a few clear patches now and then, managed to find saturn (not easy with hardly any stars showing, like reading a map when someones tipexed out most of the details) but just as i'd confirmed to my self it was saturn the blody cloud came in before i could attempt to find lulin

Could just about see a smudge from a somewhat light-polluted central Florida location.

Only have 10 x 50 binos with me (5.3 degree field). Pointing them such that Saturn was at the left edge of the FOV, "the smudge" was inside the right edge.

Will try again later when it is higher up to see if it looks any better.

Mike

Saw Lulin last night (23rd at 10pm) just naked eye in my dark sky. 7x50 bins show a bright oval blob with a faint anti-tail. The 16" at 66x showed a very bright star like core, the anti-tail is about 1.5 deg long.

It was about 2 deg south of Saturn. Tonight (24th) Lulin is 4.5 deg east of Saturn

If you can go to a dark site it is a lovely comet.

Mike

For the first time in over a week we had some clear skies last night so I set up the SW 130P and armed with my 10x50 bins set about looking for Comet Lulin. Between 10.00pm and midnight I kept my eyes on a line between Saturn and Regulus but did not see anything resembling a comet. If anyone can give me a clue to where I might be going wrong I would really appreciate it. It wasnt all bad though as I got my first sight of Saturn, which was amazing through the 9mm ep.

last night it was midway between regulus and saturn ,i think its heading toward regulus and will be below it on the 27th,you will best see it using your binioculars at first ,just scan the sky repeatedly moving the binoculars as you go and you will pick up a faint cloud a bit smaller than the moon,i am in the centre of brum and i picked it up quite easily good luck

Well, I finally got a glimpse in between last nights intermittent cloud.

There have been a variety of descriptions, so the fuzzy blob using 15x70 Binos from South Herts was underwhelming. I will see if its better form West Reading which as less light polution in the next few days.

Thanks Eagleseye for the location, it would have been hard to find otherwise.

Heavens Above publishes position predictions for the comets, Lulin included. It's how I found it last night. I'm not sure with 15x70's you're going to see much more than a fuzzy blob. If you can get some time looking at it in the bins though you will see it's position gradually change against the background stars.

:blob8:

I feel it too. :lol:

Only had one very short imaging opportunity and another observation when I turned quickly off off the A14 last night to view it briefly in darker skies than mine. I could just make it out naked eye, but no chance from my home. Weather forecast (If you believe them!!!) looks promising this weekend. We'll see... Sigh!!!

Strange cresent shaped object in the sky - Moon :lol:

Another bright object close to it - Venus :D

As I can see them does that mean no cloud :):headbang::Envy:

2 sets of binoculars at the ready:hello2:

2 small scopes at the ready :Envy:

One tripod ready, should I make that 2 as well :)

Lots of warm clothing to hand :Envy:

Small tourch and sky guides at hand :blob8:

Hope Eagleseye is around as they should have much the same as me.

Archived