Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to reduce stars?

peabrain

I am currently having fun looking at nebula and galaxies, but a lot of my targets drown out in  a huge amount of stars.

Is there a ways to reduce the sheer number of stars, sine when i compare my shots to others mine often drown in stars.

Do i get some special filters? or is it and editing process?

In photoshop at least:

Select > Colour Range  your stars.

Select > Expand selection to encompass the halos if any.

Filter > Minimise (make sure preserve roundness is selected) > go with 0.2 pixel reduction to begin with and see how you fare.

I'm sure other more experienced imagers will have something to add, but thats the basic process.

Should be a similar process in GIMP if you are using free software.

A quick way I do it which gives a good result is to use starnett++

When I use my samyang 135mm f2 lens I get a sea of stars which drown out the nebula. I know it seems a bit daft to then reduce the amount of stars but for artistic reasons sometimes it is what I will do.

Basically i take my near finished image. Run starnet so I end up with an image without the stars and an image of just the stars. I then process the star image using say levels to basically clip a lot of the data so quite a few of the stars disappear. I then combine the two images to get an image with less stars.

Edited by Chefgage