Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starsense woes.

14 minutes ago, Maclean156 said:

Hopefully someone can help as I'm pulling my hair out. Other half isn't too impressed as I spent money on scope instead of new carpets lol 

Could you try connecting using a laptop through the USB port of the handset - and then try the CPWI software - it may have come on a CD with the scope or you can download for free from Celestron. I have an AVX with Starsense, but I don't use the handcontroller. I use the Skyportal adapter for wifi connection, but when you connect to the mount using USB via the handcontroller, it just passes commands straight through.  This would help confirm whether it is an issue with the handset or elsewhere.

10 hours ago, Maclean156 said:

Thanks so much for everyone's help. Much appreciated. Hopefully clear tomorrow night so will report how I got on 

Does alignment work if you use the original handset (or CPWI) without using Starsense? This would help determine whether it is a mount or Starsense issue.

Hi Maclean156, I checked your Lat/Long from your pic and I think your Longitude should be 001° 54 53

When entering your location the lat/long you must include a leading “zero” ie. 80 deg is entered as 080. 

You must have 7 numbers in the long and 6 in the latitude entry.

You can check your entries by selecting “View time site” in the menu.

6 minutes ago, Mick H said:

Hi Maclean156, I checked your Lat/Long from your pic and I think your Longitude should be 001° 54 53

When entering your location the lat/long you must include a leading “zero” ie. 80 deg is entered as 080. 

You must have 7 numbers in the long and 6 in the latitude entry.

You can check your entries by selecting “View time site” in the menu.

The latitude and longitude look OK to me. Synscan handsets require the leading zeros. 

• Like 1

Ok I connected up with cpwi and can control through hand control and also WiFi. Looks like cloud again tonight so cannot test it tonight but all looks good. 

Why would I want to do a manual align? Doesn't that defeat the point of starsense? I only got starsense for its automatic functions. If I was going to do a manual align I might as well just use the normal hand controller surely? 

22 minutes ago, Maclean156 said:

Ok I connected up with cpwi and can control through hand control and also WiFi. Looks like cloud again tonight so cannot test it tonight but all looks good. 

Why would I want to do a manual align? Doesn't that defeat the point of starsense? I only got starsense for its automatic functions. If I was going to do a manual align I might as well just use the normal hand controller surely? 

Manual align is not as manual as it sounds. You slew somewhere press a button in the app and repeat twice more. I have light pollution and trees that can sometimes get in the way and possibly confuse it.

Also if using the app you must setup and align in the app and only use the app. You can't start with the hand controller then switch to the app. That causes lots of issues.

And always "connect and align" on the app if the scope has moved. Don't connect and then press the align button. If you just click connect it remembers your last alignment and tries to improve on that one.

Thankyou for that info. Yes I know about using app separately to the controller. If I just use skyportal the controller is not connected and I use WiFi. If I use the controller I disconnect the WiFi. 

Using the above it was just the same result. 

So with manual align I just point at a place in the sky and press a button when prompted?  Then do it twice more? 

I imagine this works for both controller and skyportal but obviously not at same time just one or the other. 

Once again guys thanks for all the help and all the new info I've learned off you. 

Just need clear skies now but none are here for ages in Bournemouth lol. 

Before you do ANYTHING, do a Firmware update on absolutely every Celestron piece you own...Hand Controller, Mount, StarSense etc.  Sorry if that was already mentioned above, but my experience was just like yours until I completed that initial step.

Just now, Maclean156 said:

Thanks. Did that last night. I did an update with the original controller and it installed a few updates then again with the starsense attached again so now waiting for clear sky to test. 

Sorry, I just saw you said that my apologies.  You know, I had the same thing happen to me with my CGEM II, and lo and behold it was STUPID old me that had the time inputted wrong.  In my head, I was thinking 12 AM/PM thing, so that's what I inputted until I realized the HC wants military time.  I'm sure you've triple checked that, I'm just telling you my experience :)

55 minutes ago, Maclean156 said:

So finally a clear night. Set scope up and started an auto align.....and........perfect. worked first time and calibrated perfect. Thanks a lot guys. So so pleased. 

Great news! Have fun and happy stargazing!

Yes so pleased.....now all I have to do is get a decent power tank for it. Doesn't have to last all night just for about 4 hours out in the field somewhere. Any suggestions? Was thinking of the celestron li on for about £120 as don't want to get the expensive £200 one 

11 hours ago, Maclean156 said:

So finally a clear night. Set scope up and started an auto align.....and........perfect. worked first time and calibrated perfect. Thanks a lot guys. So so pleased. 

Pleased for you, sometimes it just works.

For powering the scope I use a Talentcell like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TalentCell-Rechargeable-11000mAh-20000mAh-Portable/dp/B06Y5G3C8Z/ref=asc_df_B06Y5G3C8Z/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309785494452&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18294235702756215668&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045886&hvtargid=pla-555508973253&psc=1

I have it in a bag which is attached to my mount, no more cord wrap 😉