Narrowband

Jones 1 - a large planetary in Pegasus

Nyctimene

Conditions were not favourable this morning at 01.00 CEST, when I took out the 18" Obsession. The first clouds of the upcoming rain front passed through, and despite a SQM-L of 21.18, transparency was rather low, with a NELM of just 5.0. But Pegasus was close to the meridian, and I wanted to observe once more, after several years, the large planetary (diameter 5.2 arc min!) Jones 1 close to the northern border of the Pegasus square.  After warming up with the globular M 15 - a splendid view with 228x mag (and good seeing), I started star hopping from 72 Peg, and, moving about 1° southward, soon found the star field with SkySafari. But Jones 1 was more difficult than expected. With the UHC and 114x mag (ES18/82°), nothing could be seen. Switching to the Thousand Oaks O III filter, and using all the DSO observer's tricks (averted vision, telescope tapping etc.; the trusty R-Sky observing hood finally made the difference), the circular shape of the planetary was during thirty minutes slowly revealing. Most "prominent" were the two slightly inward curved streaks N and S, that encompassed the extremely faint disc structure inside. No details were visible, and the central star with 16.1 could not be made out. No wonder, that this large planetary, despite an overall 12.1 magnitude, is so difficult  - the surface brightness of just 16.1 per arc sec is very demanding. Years ago, I had some better views with the 13.1" Odyssey 1 under better skies, and it resembled a very faint version of the Helix nebula. Still a rewarding object, 37 000 years old; I will give it another try, when the sky is better in late autumn. A short look at Jupiter, already deep down in the SW, ended the session at 02.30.

Thanks for reading

Stephan

• Like 18

13 minutes ago, jetstream said:

it must be hard to see

Should be no problem with your 20" under 21.8 skies - observing is possible from 8" aperture upwards. You might be able to find the central star and two knots in the northern part. It would be interesting, if you can spot it with the mighty Heritage......

Stephan

• Like 1

Just now, Nyctimene said:

Should be no problem with your 20" under 21.8 skies - observing is possible from 8" aperture upwards. You might be able to find the central star and two knots in the northern part. It would be interesting, if you can spot it with the mighty Heritage......

Stephan

I will certainly give it a try!

However I make no predictions lol!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...