SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepieces

I have a Skywatcher Reflector 130mmx900mm scope with a small motor. The ep's that came with it I have replaced with the Meade 4000 series 9.7mm,26mm and am pleased with them. Am now looking for a higher power ep. Either the Meade 4000 series 6.4mm, Meade 5000 series 5.5mm or the Celestron x-cel series 5mm.

Could anyone give me some advice on these ep's pro or con as I can't seem to be able to decide on which one.

Thanks for ant help that you can give.

phillc

Your reflector is working at around f7, so any plossl type eyepiece will do the job. If you're happy with the Series 4000 then go for the 6.4mm.

The only issue to watch is eye relief ie the distance from the eyepiece to the eyeball (!!) on short focus eyepieces this can cause dificulties with spectacle wearers.

If you use a barlow lens you preserve the eye relief of the original eyepiece which is why some people prefer to barlow rather than use short focal length eyepieces.

A TAL 2x barlow costs around £30 and would work with both your 26mm and 9.7mm eyepieces.

John

You can get round the eye relief/glasses problem by taking them off (but only if you're short or long sighted. Doesn't help with astigmatism sadly). The focuser will compensate for the eye's weakness - it does for me.

The only thing I've found with 'short' EPs is that they do dim the image - sometimes quite drastically. The barlow/EP combination seems to be slightly better.

Archived