Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron 8SE newbie questions

1 hour ago, Trevor Matthews said:

Would it be the same size as the 8SE?

I will be dusting the 3D printers off over the weekend, happy to print one off for you and post it out.

That would be very kind of you Trevor, thank you.

24 minutes ago, Trevor Matthews said:

Had some time to get the gear out and cleaned off.

Updated all the software and actually found a 6SE focus knob file.

That is printing as I write this.

Should see the finished item in about an hours time.

Wow thats great, let me know l owe u

Hi I have the Celestron 6se and the Celestron 102 GT telescopes both which utilises the GOTO.I had difficulty when I first obtained my 6se and I found that no1 is to plumb the tripod.

I always use the two star Auto align always works for me as previously stated once aligned the target has always remained aligned this is amazing.

I purchased a copy of Michael Swansons (the next star users guide) this is a great book  and answers most questions that you may have and I have e-mailed Michael regards the goto handsets and he responded almost right away.

• Like 1

On 09/09/2021 at 11:03, Trevor Matthews said:

Would it be the same size as the 8SE?

I will be dusting the 3D printers off over the weekend, happy to print one off for you and post it out.

Focus knob has just arrived and fits perfectly. Thank you so much Trevor.

• Like 1

Managed to see some clear sky tonight.

Delighted to see Jupiter, Saturn and the Moon with only the standard lens.

I saw nothing some nights ago because the red dot scope was absolutely miles out.

Then it all went foggy, not the weather, the scope, covered in dew.

Looks like a heated dew cover will be the first purchase for this.

On 08/09/2021 at 08:32, Knighty2112 said:

the more accurate I was in levelling the mount the more targets I managed to get successfully in my fov

I have a Skywatcher goto mount but I think it's very similar. The advice there, too, is that accurate levelling shouldn't be necessary for proper operation. The idea is that the mount compensates for any misorientation as part of the internal "sky model" that it constructs for the session. I can't be sure, but my impression is that accurate levelling does help in practice. It's possible that if the mount isn't level, the areas of sky far from the alignment stars might be less accurately mapped by the model.

On 08/09/2021 at 08:24, Peter Drew said:

two star alignment and using "up" and "right" motions to centre them

This is important for subsequent goto accuracy, and is enforced by Skywatcher Synscan. But I've also found that, whenever in the session that you centre an object (i.e. not just during alignment), you should still make sure to finish with the up and right keys. This helps the tracking to keep the object in the centre of the view.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Trevor Matthews said:

Looks like a heated dew cover will be the first purchase for this.

I have a AstroZap dew shield on my 8se, non heated but I use a hairdryer for lens and view finder.

I ditched the red dot thing and brought a Telrad finder like this: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-finder-astronomy.html

• Like 2

I decided, for no real good reason, to put the wedge back on the scope tonight.

Aligned everything and the tracking seems far more accurate with the wedge fitted.

Not sure if that is a fluke as everytime I set this up I expect to get different results.

Does any one know of a decent height adjustable stool that might cover the range of heights required for this type of use?

Just received this.

Hi Trevor Matthews, 

At SGL we do not permit manufacturers, distributors or retailers to use the forum for sales or marketing so have removed your advertisement. 

Please familiarise yourself with our code of conduct. 

Best wishes, 

Steve

As you can imagine I am not happy as I was offering the service at cost to members.

And how do I come in to any of those categories??????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2