Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Seeing is Believing

So , Armed with my 12" Dob i settle down for an unobstructed view of the night sky ... and it made me wonder what would the views be like through some lovely new eyepieces . Now , i am not completely "green" on this subject , but despite that i still have what can only be descibed as a questionable eyepiece collection . Put it this way .. i reckon they let down the optics in my scope pretty badly. 

So , my scope , having a focal ratio of 4.95 and a focal length of 1500mm deserves better . Now before a few of you start spending my money on Tele Vue EP's please let it be known that i am not in a position to spend hundreds of pounds ( although i really would like to) . I want a good barlow and three decent eyepieces which will compliment my scope . At present i have a revelation 32mm , a celestron 25mm , and a few other EP's that honestly are not worthy at all , oh and one of the cheap barlows that work ok-ish. 

So , people , please think about what will compliment my one and only scope ( as of now ;) ). I don't wear glasses  . I do like 2" EP's . 

Any reccomendations would be gratefully received . 

May i add that i do want to look at the lovely planets but of course at DSO's from my bortle 5 garden

Thanks for reading 

Stu 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie

If 2" is a thing then I've had some wonderful views through my PanaView 38mm SWA 70, only one in stock (38mm) at time of writing.

Of my other eyepieces, I really like my Explore Scientific 14mm 82degrees for clusters but that is slightly out of your budget, perhaps one of the budget offerings of a similar wide angle would do you just as well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jonathan said:

If 2" is a thing then I've had some wonderful views through my PanaView 38mm SWA 70, only one in stock (38mm) at time of writing.

Of my other eyepieces, I really like my Explore Scientific 14mm 82degrees for clusters but that is slightly out of your budget, perhaps one of the budget offerings of a similar wide angle would do you just as well.

To be honest if i am only buying three then i might stretch the budget a little , thanks Jonathan 

Just over a month since it arrived (and out of the return window) the clouds at last cleared enough last night for me to actually spend some quality time with the Nirvana 16mm I got from FLO in my heritage 150 (f5 , 750mm ) https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ovl-eyepieces/ovl-nirvana-es-uwa-82-ultrawide-eyepieces.html

Happy to report that there's no need to fret that the return window is shut .  I already knew that 16mm to 18mm eps work well for me in that 'scope ( good exit pupil size of around 3mm to 3.4mm which suits my local light pollution and eyes !) and the Nirvana's 82 degree view was a big window into space , and a distinct step up from the BST 15mm . It seemed sharp pretty much to the edges to me , and an altogether nice bit of kit.  I'd quite like a 7mm nirvana too ...

OK, it's not a 2" ep, but its  £90 and .... there's one in stock at FLO ! Miracle !

Heather

• Like 1

Stu I think my 12" Dob is similar to yours. I have tried many EPs over the years. I still use my ES68 24mm which is excellent in all my scopes. The price is similar to your budget.

Again looking at your budget the ES82 range is pretty good and if you get the 14mm its a great general purpose EP.

You will get many opinions Pentax, Televue etc but they are expensive. The BST range is much cheaper and has a good following. I bought a 10mm and 17mm Celestron Ultima DUO range 68 fov for doing outreach but they are very good and in fact I used them in the Dob last night.

If you go with the ES range you won't be disappointed.

PS I have just read Heather's reply and I have used the 7mm Nirvana and it was pretty good and a nice price.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Just over a month since it arrived (and out of the return window) the clouds at last cleared enough last night for me to actually spend some quality time with the Nirvana 16mm I got from FLO in my heritage 150 (f5 , 750mm ) https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ovl-eyepieces/ovl-nirvana-es-uwa-82-ultrawide-eyepieces.html

Happy to report that there's no need to fret that the return window is shut .  I already knew that 16mm to 18mm eps work well for me in that 'scope ( good exit pupil size of around 3mm to 3.4mm which suits my local light pollution and eyes !) and the Nirvana's 82 degree view was a big window into space , and a distinct step up from the BST 15mm . It seemed sharp pretty much to the edges to me , and an altogether nice bit of kit.  I'd quite like a 7mm nirvana too ...

OK, it's not a 2" ep, but its  £90 and .... there's one in stock at FLO ! Miracle !

Heather

AAAAAANNNNND , RVO have one too .... :) i have heard good things about the Nirvana's indeed my friend @Grumpy Martian has the 4 and 7 which i am hoping to try out .Thanks Heather 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Stu I think my 12" Dob is similar to yours. I have tried many EPs over the years. I still use my ES68 24mm which is excellent in all my scopes. The price is similar to your budget.

Again looking at your budget the ES82 range is pretty good and if you get the 14mm its a great general purpose EP.

You will get many opinions Pentax, Televue etc but they are expensive. The BST range is much cheaper and has a good following. I bought a 10mm and 17mm Celestron Ultima DUO range 68 fov for doing outreach but they are very good and in fact I used them in the Dob last night.

If you go with the ES range you won't be disappointed.

PS I have just read Heather's reply and I have used the 7mm Nirvana and it was pretty good and a nice price.

Mark , those ES EP's certainly fare well it seems . Its all a bit of a minefield , thats why the questions were posed of course . Thanks for the reccomendations , Mark 

The Nirvana's are decent for the money in my non expert opinion. Tbh I didn't get on with the 4mm so sold it however the 7mm and 16mm have been tried on several different scopes from 8" dob to 4" refractor. I've no intention of getting rid of those any time soon. I found the 2" OVL Aero ED 30mm fantastic in my Startravel 120 and 8" dob. Both fast scopes. The only reason I sold it is I decided swapping between 1.25" and 2" eps on the fly wasn't for me. Similarly the Vixen NLVW 30mm was sold for the same reason. Worth a punt if you can find a used one for less than £100.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

The Nirvana's are decent for the money in my non expert opinion. Tbh I didn't get on with the 4mm so sold it however the 7mm and 16mm have been tried on several different scopes from 8" dob to 4" refractor. I've no intention of getting rid of those any time soon. I found the 2" OVL Aero ED 30mm fantastic in my Startravel 120 and 8" dob. Both fast scopes. The only reason I sold it is I decided swapping between 1.25" and 2" eps on the fly wasn't for me. Similarly the Vixen NLVW 30mm was sold for the same reason. Worth a punt if you can find a used one for less than £100.

I've got the 4mm - I find eye position fairly tricky but once there the views are nice and sharp and wide - great for a dob.

A daft question for other Nirvana owners though: My 4mm mists up at the drop of a hat! I just have to look at it and boom I'm looking at Jupiter through a halo.  Keeping it in my pocket until I want to use it helps, but it's the only eyepiece I have that I have to do this with - even last night with temps in the high teens....

Anyone else noticed this? I keep looking at the rest of the range but this is putting me off...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

I actually had one of those and the two scopes you mention , and i regret parting with the EP and the ST120 :( 

Both those latter eps were to some degree regretful sales. They were that good to my eyes. However sticking with 1.25" eyepieces just saves a lot of faff. I'm cockerhoop with the Altair 24mm UFF as my widefield ep but I don't know how well it performs in faster scopes. It may be worth some research. There's also a 2" 30mm in the range but it's bit above your stated limit at £185 (and above mine!)

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-30mm-ultraflat-eyepiece---precision-barrel-stainless-steel-238-p.asp

• Like 1

Just now, cwis said:

I've got the 4mm - I find eye position fairly tricky but once there the views are nice and sharp and wide - great for a dob.

A daft question for other Nirvana owners though: My 4mm mists up at the drop of a hat! I just have to look at it and boom I'm looking at Jupiter through a halo.  Keeping it in my pocket until I want to use it helps, but it's the only eyepiece I have that I have to do this with - even last night with temps in the high teens....

Anyone else noticed this? I keep looking at the rest of the range but this is putting me off...

The 7 and 16mm are the same. I resorted to a dew heater band from Amazon.

• Like 2