SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Travelling to Bortle 1 - OSC or Mono?

gregk01

I'm going to be travelling to a bottle 1 area for a week but will be limited in how much kit I can take. I've settled on my Tak FSQ85 scope, CEM40 mount and am now trying to decide on the camera. I'll be camping with no internet and power being supplied from batteries (charged with solar during the day).

I'm struggling with what camera to take. My ASI2600MC pro OSC or my ASI1600 mono (with Astrodon LRGB & NB filters).

Given the remoteness of the location, I'm thinking keeping it simple makes sense so the OSC would be the way to go. Given the dark sky would I get a huge benefit from using mono? Or better question would be enough of a benefit to justify the added complexity?

Appreciate any views.

Greg

I've found myself "trapped" in Western Australia. I live in the UK but was out here visiting family and it's turned into an extended stay. I haven't had much opportunity to image since being here but I'll be heading up to the north west of the state near a town called Exmouth. Unfortunately it's not the best time to image in the Southern Hemisphere but I'll find a couple targets I'm sure.

On 08/09/2021 at 10:21, newbie alert said:

Id say mono.. just to disagree with everyone else and jealous of bortle 1 southern hemisphere skies... 🙄

Not everyone else, I would go mono LRGB too and fast cycle the filters to ensure I get a full set. Requires and autofocuser though. Mono is just faster if slightly more work. 

Edited by Adam J

On 11/09/2021 at 00:11, Adam J said:

Not everyone else, I would go mono LRGB too and fast cycle the filters to ensure I get a full set. Requires and autofocuser though. Mono is just faster if slightly more work. 

It's the slightly more work that's putting me off mono as well. Not that I'd normally be averse to it but I'm camping, with the family, in very remote locations so I suspect me being focussed on my imaging in the evening may be frowned upon! I see OSC as being less inclined to have issues and therefore more a set, load a target or 2 in NINA and press go. 

On 10/09/2021 at 17:55, CraigT82 said:

Could you take the mono but just shoot luminance on as many targets as possible. Then you can add this high quality Lum data to colour captured at home? Not sure if that is a stupid idea 🤷‍♂️

If he lives in London & he's imaging in Australia this could be an issue 😏

• Haha 1