Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

APM LZOS 130 f6 - first light

Stu

On 07/09/2021 at 15:00, Stu said:

The astro piggy bank is bare, so it will be quite some time! I do have one other little confession to make after all my kit rearrangement which I will post about in due course 🤐

Any prizes for guessing your little confession correctly Stu? I’ll hazard a wild guess - a new solar scope?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Any prizes for guessing your little confession correctly Stu? I’ll hazard a wild guess - a new solar scope?

I'm wondering if it's a C11, make use of the recent move to dark skies and balance up the AZ100.

• Like 2

Sorry for the delayed response but I've been away under very dark skies but with no WiFi or mobile signal :rolleyes2:

Many congratulations on acquiring the 130mm F/6 APM/LZOS @Stu :thumbright:

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do my TMB/LZOS F/9.2 version :icon_biggrin:

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John said:

Sorry for the delayed response but I've been away under very dark skies but with no WiFi or mobile signal :rolleyes2:

Many congratulations on acquiring the 130mm F/6 APM/LZOS @Stu :thumbright:

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do my TMB/LZOS F/9.2 version :icon_biggrin:

Thanks John, I’m sure I will.

I noticed you weren’t around, hope you had fun.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Highburymark said:

4 hours ago, Deadlake said:

I'm wondering if it's a C11, make use of the recent move to dark skies and balance up the AZ100.

Tee hee, both wrong I’m afraid, though Martin is along the right lines with larger aperture…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jetstream said:

Got to get you frac guys on the right track!:grin:

With all of the contrast provided by an LZOS 5" I have a life time of objects to observe, but.... 
As discussed a C11 + a NV device is going to be cheaper then a 24" DOB and don't need to wait for it to cool down.
Only was to fight aperture is mega contrast provided by NV.

4 minutes ago, John said:

I'd miss my 12 inch dob more than any of my other scopes if I no longer had it :thumbright:

I hear you- I just got done hauling my VX10 down to the pad right on the lakeshore. Havnt used it in a while but it sure is good to put it back in use. Your 12" 5.3 is even better 👍

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Wanna put it up against my VX10?

Depends on the EP used, thats all NV is. 😀

Also going from a C11 to a 24” dob will give just over one magnitude is what an observer can see, other ways of achieving more without hanging of a ladder.

Edited by Deadlake
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jetstream said:

I prefer to get contrast from dark skies regardless of the scope

I agree dark skies have a magical feeling about them which you do not need visual instruments to enjoy. 
Same time the pictures of emission nebula are amazing thru NV.

• Like 1

Just now, Deadlake said:

I agree dark skies have a magical feeling about them which you do not need visual instruments to enjoy. 
Same time the pictures of emission nebula are amazing thru NV.

The bottom line is using something to observe with that works, NV will work very well from urban skies and even better rural. For me astronomy is more than just using equipment - its an experience all in itself sitting in dark skies listening to the wilderness.

• Like 2

Er..."APM LZOS 130 f6 - first light"...

Back on track... (for a moment I thought I'd logged in to the "dark side site" where an interesting thread then ends up being about something completely different!!😱😋😁)

Lovely Lzos glass you have there Stu, and your new observing site looks the business! It would be great to see a head to head comparison between your F6 and an F9.2 at some point..

Not a shootout, just a genuine observation based comparison between two great scopes with significantly different focal lengths.

By instinct I would normally go with "longer", as to me they look better, but I recall holding a longish Lzos scope years ago and was amazed by how heavy it felt..so I do understand why the short version appealed to you.

As for your other "little secret"... my money is on some kind of ship's funnel..but we will find out soon enough!🥴🤪😂

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Er..."APM LZOS 130 f6 - first light"...

Back on track... (for a moment I thought I'd logged in to the "dark side site" where an interesting thread then ends up being about something completely different!!😱😋😁)

🤣🤣 me too! I came back to it last night and wondered what the heck had happened! 🤪🤪

Regarding the focal length, in the end I’ve been driven by practicality and also the fact that I enjoy wider fields as much as high power. I wanted something I would use frequently, and having seen and felt the weight of this one, I know I’ve made the right decision for me. I’m sure there is a little more ultimate performance at high power in the f9.2 but we are talking tiny increments I should think, mine is 0.973 strehl so hardly a slouch 😀. Knowing how much I’ve used my Tak simply because of its portability, this one will still get used less due to the larger mounting needed, but hopefully still frequently when a good night shows up.

• Like 1