SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A very (very) quick session.

NorfolkGazer

So my new scope has been staring at me since it arrived on Wednesday (yes, it is sat in the front room waiting for sky time). I opted for the SkyWatcher Explorer 130P as the upgrade from the Bresser I was using, and I couldn't wait to give it it's first light.

Scope Nights was showing a little window of clear skies last night, but I'd been up since 0430 and on shift, so could I really be bothered to get the scope outside and try it out? You better believe I could.

This was literally the shortest observing session I have ever done. I literally took the scope outside, not even bothering to wait for it to acclimatise, and pointed it towards Jupiter, which was bright in the sky. The red dot finder was slap bang on target and I'd managed to do a good job of aligning it, as when I looked through the EP, the she was, bright and clear. A little tweak on the focus motor and the belts came into clear focus. I was a kid again, giddy and excited at what I could see.

This was my first time using an EQ mount (the 130P having an EQ2 mount), but it quickly became obvious how it worked, so the next job will be to calibrate the RA setting circle on a night when I have more time. 

I'm in no doubt that I've made a good choice in this scope, and there will be plenty of nights observing ahead, so whilst this was literally a 10 minute session, it was the best 10 minutes of scope time I've had to date!

• Like 5