Narrowband

Is my DeLite ruined??

tripleped

Moisture spots all over my TV DeLite 7mm this morning. Got home very late last night from a dark sky site over an hours drive away. Ep was in my case with both covers on for the drive home after a dewey night. Forgot to leave it out uncovered on a table after I got home and saw this very distressing sight.  Have I ruined it? There was obvious condensation when I first looked at it several hours after I got home then when that dried the spots were left.  I know I should have left it out uncovered when I got home but should I have done the same during the long ride home? 

6326C7C0-030C-4984-9C97-CA40F1C36BEF.jpeg

33 minutes ago, tripleped said:

So don’t bury  in rice?

No don’t bury in rice but place it on top of the rice in an airtight enclosure. The idea is that the dry rice has a very high surface area and will eventually capture all the water from the eyepiece. Same principle as silica gel.

Wouldn't worry about it, the coatings are quite resilient and prone to this. Just leave uncapped, use an air blower and preferably perhaps on their side (both end caps off) if possible in a warm dry dust free environment. As mentioned, in due course, consider a clean, meantime order Baader Wonder Fluid from FLO with micro cloth and as Gerry say's check out the cleaning page on the TeleVue website. 

• Like 3

https://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=103

Here is the TeleVue notes on it, hope that helps.

I would add, Baader Wonderfluid is great, but it can disolve blackening, it's happened to me years ago.
So I use a Zeiss lens spray for glasses and Zeiss throw away cloths.

Edited by Alan White

I use plain blue Windex -not going to recommend it- and it works for me, after blowing the dust, grit off. Never use it on a mirror (diag etc). The main thing is no rubbing. I use a Q tip and or a soft scent free kleenex ( folded into a small triangle) and gently "pull" the tissue to one side after slightly wetting with Windex. This will get any junk to one side. A very slightly wetted Q tip is then used around the edge to pick up any junk. Repeat and finally wipe with the kleenex triangle, all this very softly.

This is my method and is probably wrong.

Edited by jetstream

Clean the outside  of the lens first.  Better get used to it, as all eyepieces need frequent cleaning.  It's not hard--just use cotton Q-Tips and isopropyl alcohol

or a lens cleaner fluid from Nikon, Zeiss, Baader, or ROR.

That looks to me as if it is all on the outside surface and would clean off immediately.

THEN look at it again to see if anything is inside.  Till the outside is cleaned, you won't be able to tell.

If the spots are inside (and it is unlikely), they can also be cleaned, but the eyepiece will need dismantling to do so, which requires a bit of skill and a couple tools.

I would, since you're a newbie, then send it directly to TeleVue.  They'll clean it inside and out for a fee.  Their phone number is on their website.

• Like 2

C527BB2C-A7A7-4292-A602-9CD35BF2C624.thumb.jpeg.d3a8619ded0d6b1da92ef3057216a194.jpegAEBA0C8B-6196-4C11-8612-35DA253C8F3A.thumb.jpeg.db6dedb9f35fe226e11d62498664ac0b.jpegBefore and after cleaning comparison. I’m pretty happy with it. The real test will be trying it out tomorrow night. Was  a bit nervous at first but after practicing on the rubbish stock  plossl that came with my scope I got the technique down. Took Lots of gentle q tip swipes using fresh tip after each swipe. Took some time but worth it. Thanks again to all of you who gave me advice! (First time for everything I suppose)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I "wonder" if anyone has done a lens cleaning solution comparison between Baader Optical Wonder Fluid, Residual Oil Remover (ROR), Zeiss Lens Cleaning Wipes, and Windex.  To reiterate and expand on an earlier post of mine, here are their ingredients:

ROR MSDS:

• Ammonia 26° - 0.775%
  • Sodium Chloride - 0.830%
  • Isopropyl Alcohol - 4.266%
  • Liquid Soap - 9.011%
  • Distilled Water - 85.118%

Baader Optical Wonder Fluid MSDS:

• Ethanol - 25%
  • Propan-1-ol (n-Propanol or n-Propyl Alcolhol) - 35%

Zeiss Lens Cleaning Wipes MSDS:

• AQUA = Water
  • Propan-2-ol = Propanol