SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tip- Always WD40 anything that screws in

20 minutes ago, Andrew_B said:

WD40 was never designed to be a lubricant.

Very true.  However, despite the formulation never having changed according to the manufacturer, it is now marketed as a lubricant amongst many, many other things.  I'd not be surprised if someone had claimed that it cures Covid.

James

• Sad 1

Love this comment in an article about WD40. 😁😁😁

Treating a bicycle chain with WD-40 is about as profitable as trying to extinguish a grease fire with a wet haddock.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a6064/wd-40-vs-the-world-of-lubricants/

Edited by johninderby

12 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Love this comment in an article about WD40. 😁😁😁

Treating a bicycle chain with WD-40 is about as profitable as trying to extinguish a grease fire with a wet haddock.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a6064/wd-40-vs-the-world-of-lubricants/

You shouldn't knock Dr. Ebeneezer Sibley's Reanimating Solar Tincture until you've tried it though.

James

• Haha 2

Don't use copper grease on aluminium components, it can promote galvanic corrosion and bind threads. Plus it is not recommended for moving parts. It's an anti seize for high temperature application

Do not use WD40 anywhere near lenses or optics. It's designed to spread by capillary action (its a penetrating fluid with a lot of volatiles and will evaporate and migrate into places it shouldn't). It gums up over time too. 

Graphite based grease is probably the best, and used sparingly to prevent galling.

Edited by 900SL
  • Like 2

This thread makes my head spin. With every post I hear about new exotic compounds that I never even imagined existed. But every option gets shot down. We are the species that put some of its members on the moon right? How hard can it be to keep some threads unlocked?

What about ordinary items I might find around the house? How about vaseline? Shoe polish? Actual graphite from a pencil? Extra virgin olive oil? Goose fat? Skin cream? 😀

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ags said:

This thread makes my head spin. With every post I hear about new exotic compounds that I never even imagined existed. But every option gets shot down. We are the species that put some of its members on the moon right? How hard can it be to keep some threads unlocked?

What about ordinary items I might find around the house? How about vaseline? Shoe polish? Actual graphite from a pencil? Extra virgin olive oil? Goose fat? Skin cream? 😀

I've used both vaseline and candle wax to grease threads and they worked well enough. The reason I chose them was because they were immediately available and I know what's in them so there shouldn't be any nasty surprises and they ought to be relatively easy to remove if they end up in the wrong place.

Stuff like molybdenum disulphide grease or graphite grease might do the job well but if they get on your hands and then on your clothes or furniture then it's going to make a mess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ags said:

Actual graphite from a pencil?

Probably not a good idea even though a lot of guitarists say to use pencil to lubricate the string slots in the nut (if they're a constant player and change the strings regularly and clean the slots each time it probably isn't as bad).  A pencil lead is a composite of graphite and clay, which in the short term would provide some form of lubrication but as the clay part gets exposed to moisture and drying cycles, it'll harden out and bind up.

• Like 1

Long ago I heard a seasoned machinist state that using just a bit of paraffin wax rubbed onto the threads will keep things from seizing.  Not being an oily liquid i would think it would not migrate. 

I have been meaning to give it a go but have not as yet. Has anyone tried using it?

11 minutes ago, CCD-Freak said:

Long ago I heard a seasoned machinist state that using just a bit of paraffin wax rubbed onto the threads will keep things from seizing.  Not being an oily liquid i would think it would not migrate. 

I have been meaning to give it a go but have not as yet. Has anyone tried using it?

With current heat waves it's gonna melt!!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CCD-Freak said:

Would definitely melt here in our summer heat.  It got up to 102° F here yesterday.

• Like 1