Narrowband

New Keter shed style and suffolk fabricators

powerlord

I don't know how new this is, but I like the look of it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keter-Artisan-Outdoor-Plastic-Storage/dp/B077FHZ1TC?th=1

With the plastic roof, it feels I could keep things simple and reasonably easily make it just manually lift up and store at back of shed - sort of slide between what will be back of shed and fence.

Anyone used one of these models ?

Thought putting something together in the next few months before winter might be an idea. I'd love to get 2 mounts in there, which would really mean piers rather than tripods.. which means concrete and faff.. but I suppose it is worth it in the end.

On which subject, has anyone had a pier made locally in suffolk or essex ?

I'm thinking of having the piers as high as I can while a 200p fitted can still clear roof. I can always have a step or something to reach. that will give me clearest views. Not clear to me quite what height that will be at the moment, but probably 1.5-1.8m.

stu

Because I have a 200P on a pier in an observatory.  The scope room is 2.2m x 1.8m internally.  This allows you to walk around the scope without the need to duck under or limbo.    You could store a 200P or similar size scope in a 4' x 4' space (I can see how it can be anything less as the OTA is longer than 3'), but I can's see it being practical.  I would really like to see 4 x 200P on an HEQ5 (or similar spec setups) operate in 7 x 7 !

If your scope is 3 feet long and is perfectly centrally balanced then you would have a circumference of a little over 3 feet as diagonal measurement (front left to rear right) would be over 3 feet.

Most scopes do not balance in use perfectly centrally so that increases your circumference that the scope would describe as it rotates.

Add in the dimensions of the astronomer who may need to move around the scope and you soon get to only having one pier in a 7X7 shed.

19 hours ago, powerlord said:

My 200p is setup in the garden just now. 3ft x3ft max footprint. And the other scope will be significantly less footprint, so what makes you say that ? Hell, I could get 4 mounts in 7x7?

IMG_9790.jpg.83525013a6275951dedc23b8a14ecd5d.jpg

Really?  - 

When I was working out the size of the observatory, and how the scope could be parked (and this was with the 200P / EQ5 set up before I got the HEQ5 mount) I mocked up the area on the patio of where the walls would be to ensure I could move around and use the scope without knocking the scope or having to limbo under the counter weights.  That area is 8' x 8', and gave around 18" clear all round.

The shed in the background (where the observatory now resides) is 7' x 5'.... clearly four 200P / eq5's would not fit in that space !!

no, the 4 was me being facetious.  But 2 peirs easy.

I suppose it depends how close to horizon you can shoot. for me, not very, so my scope would never be like your pic.

It also depends on whether you are expecting to sit in the shed I suppose. I'm not - it's all remote. just needs to have enough space for the scopes to move around. And as I say, the other pier would need much less clearance as smaller scope.