Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

Help with 10mm EP

1 hour ago, Barry Fitz-Gerald said:

.... you will always wonder how accurately placed the new spot is....

It might be more accurately placed than the original one was ! :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

However,  I recently pounced on a well priced second hand maxvision 24mm (which I believe is an old ES eyepiece design which was rebadged to avoid stocks of it being confused with the newer design ). I'll be interested to compare it with the 25mm BST !

The Maxvision were indeed leftover Meade 5000 UWA/SWA stock after Ningbo Sunny bought Meade and cancelled their eyepiece contract with JOC (ES/Bresser).  As such, they are optically identical to the the ES-82/68 eyepieces.

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

Just make a spot in the center of the donut with permanent ink or a tiny paint blob before cleaning in case that happens.  Soapy water won't generally remove either mark.

..................................wish I'd thought of that!

On 07/09/2021 at 22:37, Orange Smartie said:

Re cleaning the mirror, does it definitely need it? I'm no expert, but I gather that it's something you shouldn't do unless really necessary and could cause more harm than good. Your telescope will tolerate a bit of dust or dirt on the mirror as discussed in many threads on this forum. Personally, I've learnt not to look too hard at mine!

Collimation on the other hand, is something you should learn to do.

Pete

Honestly , if you would have seen my primary mirror prior to recoating ... full of caked on dust , it still gave really good views . Even after recoating there was some "staining " on the glass that couldnt be removed but the views i get are absolutely stunning . I think people get hung up on this and every spec of dust is seen as an enemy . It really makes no difference . 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 1

The only other thing I would add regarding EP acquisition is to go for the gaps first.

People get a bit hung up on replacing the stock EPs before comparing them to anything else.

The 8mm BST might be a good place to start if you are enjoying the views through the 10mm. :)

A 5mm BST will be pushing it a bit, the skies just aren't steady enough (good on the moon though!).

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for taking the time and effort to enlighten and guide me.

So I’ve bought  a BST 8mm. It’s arrived . I was immediately  impressed with the quality of the build ,over the box standard 10mm .

however , there it sits, in its box. Not had a clear night or I’ve been on shift to enjoy it.  
very very frustrating.

Buying new kit invariably summons the clouds John. Welcome to astronomy 🙂

FLO, our sponsor often puts stickers on the boxes of new equipment that they sell, which reads "May contain clouds". They've got a good sense of humour as well as selling good kit!

Enjoy the BST 8mm. I like mine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JohnWat39765628 said:

Thanks to everyone for taking the time and effort to enlighten and guide me.

So I’ve bought  a BST 8mm. It’s arrived . I was immediately  impressed with the quality of the build ,over the box standard 10mm .

however , there it sits, in its box. Not had a clear night or I’ve been on shift to enjoy it.  
very very frustrating.

As Mark said, every time you buy new kit it guarantees at least 2 weeks of cloudy skies 🙄

As another newbie (I'm about 2 weeks ahead of you John, having acquired what must have been the only Skywatcher 200P in the country until more stock arrived recently) I concur about the 8mm BST.  I did quite a bit of research before getting it as my first (and so far! only) new eyepiece.  I'm pretty impressed with it, both as a piece of engineering, and in use - luckily I've had a couple of nights of decent visibility to try it out 😀.

My main newbie mistakes to date have been 1) not realising that the little thumbscrew at the base of the focuser had to be loosened before the focuser would move 🙄, and 2) believing that the thumbscrew on the guidescope mount would hold a guidescope when the OTA was elevated to vertical (somehow it had come a little loose; luckily the guidescope bounced with no more damage than a scratch on the paint).

I have to say that I am one of the few that thinks the kit 10mm is quite acceptable.  Seems to work well for me, I guess either my eyes are really unsophisticated, or maybe I just got a good one...  But even I can see the BST 8mm is much better!

Simon

• Like 1