Jump to content

 

1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

 

Which Pegasus powerbox?


Recommended Posts

I'm planning on getting a Pegasus Powerbox to keep everything nice and tidy. But I am not sure between the Advance Gen2 and the Ultimate. I'm unlikely to need 3 dew heaters, so I guess it comes down to the powered USB 3.1 ports and how necessary they really are. 

I think I only really need the Advance, but what would be the main justification for going for the Ultimate?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the ultimate you’ll be more future proof. If you have a refractor and guide, you’ll need two dew heater ports at least. And if you ever want a smaller scope piggybacked on a larger, you need another one. If budget and size are not a problem, take the bigger one.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ordered one of each from RVO a couple of weeks ago to try out.. I’m waiting for... one for my ‘remote’ obsy and one for another semi portable rig I’m putting together. The main difference is number of ports and internal or external option for focus controller. Power load seems to be same at 12 amps. RVO have a uchube vid explains the differences that’s worth a look. My main interest for remote use is the ability to cycle reset individual USB ports. Currently my setup using the industrial star tech  hubs only lets me cycle the whole hub. So it’s down to which one gives you the number of connections & ports you need really.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

thanks both.

2 hours ago, wimvb said:

With the ultimate you’ll be more future proof. If you have a refractor and guide, you’ll need two dew heater ports at least. And if you ever want a smaller scope piggybacked on a larger, you need another one. If budget and size are not a problem, take the bigger one.

I'm not sure I'd be piggybacking another scope on top, but I guess I might put my DSLR with a long lens on top, so this is worth thinking about. I can manage in terms of budget, in any case. 

2 hours ago, Sp@ce_d said:

I ordered one of each from RVO a couple of weeks ago to try out.. I’m waiting for... one for my ‘remote’ obsy and one for another semi portable rig I’m putting together. The main difference is number of ports and internal or external option for focus controller. Power load seems to be same at 12 amps. RVO have a uchube vid explains the differences that’s worth a look. My main interest for remote use is the ability to cycle reset individual USB ports. Currently my setup using the industrial star tech  hubs only lets me cycle the whole hub. So it’s down to which one gives you the number of connections & ports you need really.

 

Do you know if the various power outputs are independently voltage adjustable? So, if I wanted three at 12V but the fourth at, say, 8V is that possible? I assume so, but just want to check

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the PPB Advanced and it has enough of everything for a guided refractor or SCT, including two dew straps, power to the imaging cam and focuser, and USBs for both cameras. I use the USB hub on the imaging cam (asi1600mm) for the filter wheel and guide cam. I haven't powered the mount from the PPBAdv yet but intend to try.

The PPBAdv has plenty of ports and power for me. The usual caveat that one of the USB ports is 3.0 only, and a lot of the imaging gear can't use it, so I just leave it empty.

The 4 12V power ports are switchable on/off but are not voltage adjustable. There is one additional switchable and variable voltage port. So you can have 4x12V and 1x8V.

The PPBAdv is likely to be enough for you but as others have said, if you don't mind the cost, the Ultimate will cover all options. Either way they're a great buy.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Padraic. Very helpful. I already have a Nevada PSU for my mount, so I shall prob carry on with that.

Can you just clarify what you mean about the USB ports? Acc to the photo it has two USB 2.0 and two USB 3.0

10 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

The usual caveat that one of the USB ports is 3.0 only, and a lot of the imaging gear can't use it, so I just leave it empty.

 

ppbadvgen2.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Stuart, my information is out of date! I see that the Gen 2 PPBAdv has fixed this issue, and all ports are USB2 compatible. This note from the website relates to the Gen1 PPBAdv that I have:

* Older product revision (Gen1) had only 3 out of 4 USB Ports that were compatible to USB2 devices. For detailed information please check the product manual.

The issue was that while many devices are USB3.0, some require a USB2.0 handshake to power up, and this can't be supported on a USB3.0-only port.

I also have the 30A Nevada Radio PSU and it works perfectly with the PPB.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

 

I also have the 30A Nevada Radio PSU and it works perfectly with the PPB.

Oh, I was meaning that I might still use my Nevada to power the mount independently (as you said you hadn't yet powered the mount from the PPB). Is this what you mean? Or are you saying you are powering the PPB with the Nevada. Sorry.. I am getting confused here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the cost is not a showstopper I’d be inclined to go for the ultimate because you’ll always find you want that bit extra at some point in this money pit hobby 😆

They both only have one port for variable voltage. The Ultimate actually supplies 20 amps now I’ve had  another look too so your Nevada will provide up to 30 if you use the right output terminals... plenty! I’d suggest you power it from the bench supply and power all your kit including the mount with the Pegasus as that’s what it’s for, remote control of all your kit. Depending on your software you use to run everything it can all be scripted. For instance I use ACP in my obsy and that will start up everything open the roof do my sky flats and grab the subs on my shopping list all night, shutting and opening when weather conditions dictate, then shutdown and power off everything in the morning. All without me needing to be conscious and the Pegasus “should” do all the switching as commanded. It will also be a bit tidier than my current setup of separate power switches and usb hubs. I have the original hitech mount hub pro that did a similar job but I could never get the scripting to work with it and prolific drivers were rubbish but the idea was really good. Pegasus have come up with what that should have been as I see it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, StuartT said:

Oh, I was meaning that I might still use my Nevada to power the mount independently (as you said you hadn't yet powered the mount from the PPB). Is this what you mean? Or are you saying you are powering the PPB with the Nevada. Sorry.. I am getting confused here.

I power both from the Nevada, through a cigarette splitter. I intend to remove the splitter, power the PPB from Nevada, and power everything else from there (as @Sp@ce_d said above).

Also would agree that if money is not an issue, why not go for the Ultimate but that's always the case in this game! While I'm very happy with the PPBAdv, there are plenty of features on the Ultimate that are very nice to have - each of the power outputs is individually switchable, and can be set on/off at boot. 6 USB rather than 4. Better NINA support.

Your choice!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Padraic M said:

I power both from the Nevada, through a cigarette splitter. I intend to remove the splitter, power the PPB from Nevada, and power everything else from there (as @Sp@ce_d said above).

Also would agree that if money is not an issue, why not go for the Ultimate but that's always the case in this game! While I'm very happy with the PPBAdv, there are plenty of features on the Ultimate that are very nice to have - each of the power outputs is individually switchable, and can be set on/off at boot. 6 USB rather than 4. Better NINA support.

Your choice!

Ok, the Ultimate it is then! It also means I can get a Motor focus kit instead of the FocusCube I was considering (because the Ultimate has a stepper motor controller, right?)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, StuartT said:

Ok, the Ultimate it is then! It also means I can get a Motor focus kit instead of the FocusCube I was considering (because the Ultimate has a stepper motor controller, right?)

Yes, the page you linked to has all the specs..

Supported Stepper Motors

Pegasus Motor Focus Kit (v1/v2) Requires RJ45 to RJ45 common straight network cable
Robofocus Ask for cable: PEG-CMOT-RJ45DB9
Moonlite Ask for cable: PEG-CMOT-RJ45DB9
Lakeside Ask for cable: PEG-CMOT-RJ45DB9
Starlight HSM 20,30,35 Ask for cable: PEG-CMOT-HSM
Starlight MSM 20,30,35 Ask for cable: PEG-CMOT-MSM
Starlight  DirectSync motors Ask for cable: PEG-CMOT-HSM
Starizona Microtouch Ask for cable: PEG-CMOT-MSM
Rigel nStep motor Ask for cable: PEG-CMOT-MSM
Starlight POSI Drive Motor Ask for cable: PEG-CMOT-HSM
Lacerta Motor Ask for cable: PEG-CMOT-LCRT
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely go with the ultimate if the budget allows,  i have the advance and while it is great, just need that little bit more.

If i was buying again, Ultimate is the way to go.

And yes,  the Ultimate has a stepper motor controller,  so that is a + also as well as a few other bonuses.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bluesilver said:

Definitely go with the ultimate if the budget allows,  i have the advance and while it is great, just need that little bit more.

If i was buying again, Ultimate is the way to go.

And yes,  the Ultimate has a stepper motor controller,  so that is a + also as well as a few other bonuses.

 

Just ordered an Ultimate 😃

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So my Ultimate Powerbox is about to arrive this afternoon 😃

Where do you guys tend to mount yours? I have a Los dovetail bar on top of the scope tuberings and I was thinking of putting it there. 

But I'd appreciate any advice from those with experience as to what works best

m31jYbswUem9_16536x0_PYu19TJA.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have my sbc and a power distribution box on a 5 mm thick aluminium plate (10 cm wide) on top of my scope (mn190, and separate for TS70EDQ). The plate stiffens the construction and is a platform for control hardware. I don't know if the Pegasus has anything to attach it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Following this thread with interest as I haven't cracked this problem yet. I've just velcroed it to the vixen plate below the scope, where it hangs very precariously. And yes I have the mounting bracket but that doesn't mate with the dovetail rail.

Bolting it to the top dovetail bar is a good solution, I've seen others do that. But that's where my guidescope is and there's no room for the PPB without going double-decker, and I'd be a little concerned about balance.

I've looked into mounting it in the guidescope shoe - there's a 3d print design on Thingverse for the PPBAdv; you could do similar for the UPB with some small mods.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4861744

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

Bolting it to the top dovetail bar is a good solution, I've seen others do that. But that's where my guidescope is and there's no room for the PPB without going double-decker, and I'd be a little concerned about balance.

Fortunately as I am not clever enough to do guiding, I have a nice free top dovetail 🤣

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine arrived yesterday but I've not had time to check it all out yet.. I also ordered the dovetail mounting brackets in case they were of use. TBH I think if you have a strip of aluminium and a vice to do a 45 90 degree bend & drill some holes you could easily make your own though 🤔

IMG_5804.png.ea7a9a1e307d836bd7e28bdbf6fa2d86.pngIMG_5805.png.f8a57e59f7de31342963517657d14cd5.png

Edited by Sp@ce_d
I was never that good at maths doh.. ;)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although it's the PPBA I have, I used 50mm wide velcro to secure it to the side of my HEQ5 mount.

It looks a bit untidy in the photo but its been tidied it up since and it seems to work fine. I was a bit worried about cable snags but nothing snagged during the four sessions since I first used this setup. 

It also means I can leave all the cables on the mount and swap scopes without having to swap all the cables as well.

Mount.png.3721f6ce8dc69c42f418b8cab3e9f2c2.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also have the PPBA and a HEQ5PRO. Mone is velcro'd to the mount and it's nice and secure. Not moved at all in 6 months. Works for me.

FB_IMG_1631342762002.thumb.jpg.1b4add4047e96ee899b2b6bde008852c.jpg

I leave all my cables connected to the PPBA for easier set up. Only one USB and one power cable coming from it all to connect when set up. 

Edited by Jamgood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent. Thanks. Actually I wasn't aware that they sold a mounting bracket separately but I see them now (£35!!)

In fact, I have some velcro on the side of my EQ6 which used to have the dew controller, but as I won't be needing that any more, I can just put the powerbox there.

My Powerbox didn't come with any instructions, which seems odd (even frying pans come with instructions these days!!)

EDIT: actually there is a manual online, I just doscovered 🙂

Edited by StuartT
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Excellent. Thanks. Actually I wasn't aware that they sold a mounting bracket separately but I see them now (£35!!)

In fact, I have some velcro on the side of my EQ6 which used to have the dew controller, but as I won't be needing that any more, I can just put the powerbox there.

My Powerbox didn't come with any instructions, which seems odd (even frying pans come with instructions these days!!)

You won’t need instructions, it’s all pretty self explanatory in the software, there is one 12v port that can be voltage adjustable, just be careful not to forget what you have it set on and plug into the wrong device….it has been done…😮👍🏼

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.