Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

17mm Baader Hyperion

LDW1

43 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

What do other fellow astronomers think of the 17mm Baader Hyperion ep ? I would like to hear their experience with the ep's performance, etc  I have been thinking of buying one.

I think you’ll find that those that have actually used a 17mm Hyperion hold it in high regard. The Hyperions often get criticised especially when used in telescopes of f6 or below. But a member of my local club who looks after our club’s 16” f4.3 Dob owns the 17mm Hyperion. When I’ve tried it in that scope I found it excellent with good sharpness towards edge of field. I’ve also used that EP at f8 and it was excellent.

With long eyerelief and 68 degree field and (relatively) low price I’d thoroughly recommend it. I’ve briefly tried the 8mm and 5mm Hyperions in my 10” f4.8 Dob (without a coma corrector) and although they didn’t match the correction of the 17mm they seemed to me to be better than their reputation.

Best regards from the UK, Ed.

• Like 1

I have the Hyperion 5/10/13/17/21 and 24mm and they are good value for money.

Sure i've seen crisper views in more expensive eyepieces, but for the price you can't go wrong with them.

I use these Hyperions mainly in combination with my C11 (f7 and f10)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LDW1 said:

My scopes, 4 refractors, 1 dob, range from f6 - f11.4.

For those focal ratios I think you should be fine. To get significantly better than Hyperions you have to pay much more. It’s always a tough call giving advice, some folk are very picky (nothing wrong with that, it’s their hard earned money) others might say - they may not be perfect but they’re good enough for me.

Even top dollar eyepieces get criticised !

All the best in your choice, Ed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

For those focal ratios I think you should be fine. To get significantly better than Hyperions you have to pay much more. It’s always a tough call giving advice, some folk are very picky (nothing wrong with that, it’s their hard earned money) others might say - they may not be perfect but they’re good enough for me.

Even top dollar eyepieces get criticised !

All the best in your choice, Ed.

I am not a picky observer but I don't mind spending when / if justified.

The 21mm and 17mm are the best in the set, and work at a slightly faster f/ratio than the others.

The 24mm is not the equal of the others, optically.  The 13mm has significant edge of field brightening.

You can do better at each focal length.

Careful if buying used, as I recall the 17mm was revised at some point, and the new one is better optically.

But I do not know how to tell them apart.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

The 21mm and 17mm are the best in the set, and work at a slightly faster f/ratio than the others.

The 24mm is not the equal of the others, optically.  The 13mm has significant edge of field brightening.

You can do better at each focal length.

Careful if buying used, as I recall the 17mm was revised at some point, and the new one is better optically.

But I do not know how to tell them apart.

I bought it new so .......

I had the 17mm one quite some years ago and it didn't work for me due to huge kidney beaning (8" F5 reflector),  the only eyepiece I've ever experienced that's done that.

Is there any chance you can try before you buy?

3 hours ago, NiCo10 said:

I had the 17mm one quite some years ago and it didn't work for me due to huge kidney beaning (8" F5 reflector),  the only eyepiece I've ever experienced that's done that.

No, I am not that type but with my f6 - f11.4 refrctors I am sure it won't be a problem.  Thanx for the heads up.

• 1 month later...
On 04/09/2021 at 04:41, NiCo10 said:

There's no kidney beaning in the 17mm Hyperion. You just got too close to the lens and it blacked out.