SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Voluntary control of pupil size

Zermelo

I use a sort of "1000 yard stare" approach when trying to spot faint point sources. Similar to the technique for viewing those "Magic Eye" 3D pictures. Deliberately de-focussing the target seems to help faint point source type targets to "pop through".

This technique has worked for me on faint supernovae and faint planetary moons.

I don't know what the science behind this is, but it does work shrug.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chiltonstar said:

Judging by what pupils look like when someone has taken certain drugs, maybe this can be induced with certain "substances", including legal ones such as caffeine and ethanol?

Chris

Eye dilation drops maybe - these are used when doing serious eyes exam.

1 hour ago, Zermelo said:

I came across this today:

https://www.livescience.com/man-can-control-pupil-dilation.html

which might come in handy at the eyepiece.

What other "superpowers" (those that might feasibly be discovered in at least one person) could be useful in amateur astronomy?

I've had small level of such ability. It was not actual control of pupil size, but I could rather voluntarily change focus position and given certain lighting conditions that would change pupil size. Haven't tried that lately.

I also had very strange condition happen to me sometimes. After night of heavy alcohol use - next day I would have pupils of different size! Now that is strange to see in mirror reflection. I asked my sister who studied medicine about it and she said it can happen in some neurological conditions. In my case, I believe, it was due to the fact that I don't see particularly good at one eye.

• Like 1