Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Query on Kstars/Ekos Align tool

AstroMuni

Hi,

In the Ekos documentation about Capture & Solve it states the following:

Each time the solver is executed and returns successful results, Ekos can run on the following actions:

• Sync: Syncs the telescope coordinates to the solution coordinates.

• Slew to Target: Syncs the telescope coordinates to the solution coordinates and then slew to the target.

• Nothing: Just solve the image and display the solution coordinates.

In general when you do a capture & solve the 'Slew to target' option is chosen. When Ekos attempts to Align the scope to a chosen target it captures an image, solves, if it notices a discrepancy it slews again. So at each of these iterations, does it sync the scope closer and closer to the target?

I've had it cycle half a dozen times when KStars and the mount were REALLY disagreeing. Usually it's three for me. I never do a star align on my mount, and I almost never leave it set up two nights in a row. So when I reassemble it, the mount always is a bit mistaken about where it's really pointing and its first slew is invariably off.

I believe that the Polar Alignment Assistant, like Capture and Solve, syncs the mount to the solution. Since it's going start reasonably close, even  a blind solve happens pretty fast and then you're GTG.

[Edited to  add] Ah, I have no idea whether it syncs the mount at each stop along the way.  I suppose you could tell by watching the hand controller readout for changes.

Edited by rickwayne

From memory it syncs after each successive solve if you select Slew to Target until it reaches the desired accuracy level that you define on the screen.

I find that it works very well overall, also good for quickly imaging the same target again based on an image from the last session.