Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pulsar pier adapter and AZEQ6

david_taurus83

Had anybody fitted an AZEQ6 to a Pulsar multi pier adapter? I've tried a test fit but the recess in the adapter is about .25mm too small. Is this a thing? Is the mount too big, too much powder coated etc or has the pier adapter been milled too small? I'm sure the EQ6 recess is meant to be 65mm so that would indicate the adapter is out?

20210828_195835.jpg

20210828_200018.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure you're measuring the adaptor in the middle of that bore.

Try with the callipers perpendicular to the plate, and slowly turn one end of it - watch the numbers as you put slight pressure on opening and they should go up, then back down. Of course if you already know this, ignore me!

After a few goes you will feel what's right and be comfortable I would be very surprised if whoever turned that was 250um out. It's possible though, so I would send it back if so.

If anything it should be slightly bigger than the mount.

When I designed mine and had it made by a friend. I specified 65mm and it's fine.

image.thumb.png.0aa303786d1bb3501a73a02a555a8c46.png

On 08/09/2021 at 22:32, Jonk said:

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure you're measuring the adaptor in the middle of that bore.

Try with the callipers perpendicular to the plate, and slowly turn one end of it - watch the numbers as you put slight pressure on opening and they should go up, then back down. Of course if you already know this, ignore me!

After a few goes you will feel what's right and be comfortable I would be very surprised if whoever turned that was 250um out. It's possible though, so I would send it back if so.

If anything it should be slightly bigger than the mount.

When I designed mine and had it made by a friend. I specified 65mm and it's fine.

image.thumb.png.0aa303786d1bb3501a73a02a555a8c46.png

I did exactly that! Same as how i measure any circle. Keep sweeping and note the highest number! It's definitely too small and FLO have confirmed there's an issue with this batch. Waiting for an update. I may consider sending it back and go down the brake disc route but means I need to drill out 18mm holes through steel. Only have a cheap drill press!

Ok fair enough, not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs!

I would take it to your nearest machine shop, give them a tenner or bottle of plonk and ask them to turn it out to 65.2mm or something.

Then get it anodised!

11 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Only have a cheap drill press!

Hi David,

IIRC I made mine from a pair of Skoda Yeti discs.  The central hole was a pretty good fit for the AZEQ6..  Specs change so best to check but there are sites that detail disc brake dimensions.

My drill press is also a cheap one but by drilling pilot holes and using increasing drill sizes, I was able to drill the holes very easily, the steel was much softer than I expected.

Mike

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeP said:

Hi David,

IIRC I made mine from a pair of Skoda Yeti discs.  The central hole was a pretty good fit for the AZEQ6..  Specs change so best to check but there are sites that detail disc brake dimensions.

My drill press is also a cheap one but by drilling pilot holes and using increasing drill sizes, I was able to drill the holes very easily, the steel was much softer than I expected.

Mike

Thanks Mike. That's reassuring. I have a set of HSS bits to start off and an extra set of blacksmiths bits (14 to 20mm) to do it in increments. Will just set drill at low speed and use plenty of oil. 

When I made mine, I was trying to figure out how to bolt the mount to the top disk,  LongJohn very kindly pointed me in the direction of www.lasermaster.co.uk.  I think the "washer" cost me £20 odd including postage but well worth it.  It drilled quite easily too.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/295820-lasermaster/?do=findComment&comment=3238658

Mike