Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on imaging camera to use with Redcat 51

I use my RedCat primarily with an ASI1600MM-Pro. I also have an ASI183MM-Pro which I use with a Samyang 135mm, however, in theory the ASI183 is a better match to the RedCat than the ASI1600.

That said I am delighted with the results I get with the RedCat+1600.

71437360_Screenshot2021-08-22at00_18_20.png.1a9c15d7fc667a4afefe6072a0e7faa6.png

9 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

I use my RedCat primarily with an ASI1600MM-Pro. I also have an ASI183MM-Pro which I use with a Samyang 135mm, however, in theory the ASI183 is a better match to the RedCat than the ASI1600.

That said I am delighted with the results I get with the RedCat+1600.

71437360_Screenshot2021-08-22at00_18_20.png.1a9c15d7fc667a4afefe6072a0e7faa6.png

Also, I’m wanting colour not monochrome (need it simple) 🙂

Consider buying a camera outside of the usual suspects of manufacturers.

I bought the RisingCam IMX571 sensor colour camera and it works great. Obviously its been cloudy for weeks since i bought it but lots of people are happy with theirs and so am i, and the price is really competitive compared to the monopoly-gang manufacturers like ZWO and QHY who have just decided to ask 2200 euros for these products for no real reasons other than they can.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001359313736.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5b604c4dWaHMUL

17 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Consider buying a camera outside of the usual suspects of manufacturers.

I bought the RisingCam IMX571 sensor colour camera and it works great. Obviously its been cloudy for weeks since i bought it but lots of people are happy with theirs and so am i, and the price is really competitive compared to the monopoly-gang manufacturers like ZWO and QHY who have just decided to ask 2200 euros for these products for no real reasons other than they can.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001359313736.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5b604c4dWaHMUL

Many thanks will take a look 👍🏻

20 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Although there is no reason to suspect these cameras are any worse or better than the more well known makes, there is the risk of how much support you will get in the event of something going wrong or driver issues. I agree that the likes ZWO and QHY do have a bit of a monopoly and the prices reflect this - but there is a well established support network in place. How long would it take to send a camera back to China for repair / replacement (assuming this is possible)? Also, you will need to persuade the authorities not to add VAT a second time.

Just something to think consider.

If you want to keep it plain and simple, grab an ASI533 and UV/IR filter, and possibly an l-extreme filter if you want to shoot nebula from a high Bortle class zone. I use this camera with my Redcat 51 and it's brilliant. See the link below for some of my example pictures, the last three images were using this camera and Redcat 51. Orion and Rosette were shot without a filter, the Pelican was using the l-extreme filter. Note: you can see star bloat in my Orion which is what I bought the UV/IR filter to eliminate. 

This combination on Astro tools (https://astronomy.tools/calculators/ccd_suitability) says that at 3.1''/pixel the camera is undersampled, but for me it was an improvement from my DSLR which had 3.56''/pixel. Undersampling supposedly creates square-ish stars, but I drizzle stack my subs which improves this a lot. Below is a screenshot from pixinsight of standard stacking (left) and drizzle stacking (right) from my DSLR using exactly the same subs. There is a big improvement when you zoom in! 

854072645_Nodrizzlevsdrizzle03.thumb.png.e1bef6a890c570791c3916ed9ccf966c.png

54 minutes ago, Richard_ said:

If you want to keep it plain and simple, grab an ASI533 and UV/IR filter,

+1 I've used the same combination until recently and it was a very straightforward setup.  The only downside is the smaller FOV with the ASI533 - obviously reflected in the price Vs say a 294MC-Pro (little) or a 2600MC-Pro (a lot).

Examples in my Astrobin link in signature (e.g. M31 and M45)

Edited by geeklee