SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Swindon stargazers clubs first meet.

MikeD

Last night was the first meeting of the newly formed Swindon stargazers club.:(

First off a big thanks to Pete (timetraveller) for the time and effort he has put in to getting the club off the ground.

The turn out was great, so it looks like a new club is born.

Quite a few SGL members attended, so it was also good to put more faces to names.

Looking forward to the next meeting.

Mike.

Hi ya Guys

just wanted to say a huge thank you firstly to mike for your efforts last night showing your amazing astro photo's thank you so much bud for your help and your kind words and secondly to all the rest of the stargazers lounge family who came along especial Steve and James Thank you so much for your support and i really hope to see you guys and ladies to at future meetings thanks again for all the support wishing you all dark skies and good seeing Pete

Apologies if I should post this question in a different area of the forum...

I'm from Cardiff but spend alot of time in Swindon as my boyfriend lives in Eldene. As you probably know the light pollution is horrendous in the town so I was wondering if you know of any places outside the town with lower light pollution? Keen to take a drive out somewhere once I get my first scope to show the boyfriend the things I keep going on about!

hello ashenlight

a couple of places to try would be

1 Barbury Castle up on the ridge way behind Wroughton Airfield high and dark only negative to this site is they lock the public car park around 6 O'Clock at this time of year

2 The big events field at the rear of Lydiard country park not sure about parking but the field is quite shielded by trees from the lighting in the town or you could also try up on the ridge way from Wanborough to say white horse

one word of caution please be very careful of going to remote places alone as it might not be safe. Can i just add one final Idea I happen to be the founding member of the Swindon Stargazers club in swindon we will be holding observing session at barbury and other sites over the course of the year if you would like you would be more than welcome to tag along with us as we have access to the car park after lock up time i will be posting these events on our web site which is http://swindon-stargazers-club.webeden.co.uk/ just pop on to see if we have an event planned and come and say high we are a very friendly bunch

best wishes Pete

Hi,

A big Thank you to Pete for getting this Astronomy Group off the ground . It takes a lot of courage and planning to make this happen . I am sure it will go from strength to strength .

There was a mix of people from experienced to novices . My initial impressions were that we need some sort of structure to future meetings that caters for both experienced and novices . Some people seemed to want only practical advice , some relished the brief talk Pete gave on telescopes, some want talks/advice on what to do if you are a novice and where you start on learning the sky .

Well done Pete for getting this off the ground !!

Allan

I have just come back from Uffington White horse car park and both the diabled car park and the main one are dark and have lots of hard ground for cars/telescopes. Had expected visit from police but except for smoke from a fire in grove it looks like quite a decent site.

Owen

• 2 weeks later...
Apologies if I should post this question in a different area of the forum...

I'm from Cardiff but spend alot of time in Swindon as my boyfriend lives in Eldene. As you probably know the light pollution is horrendous in the town so I was wondering if you know of any places outside the town with lower light pollution? Keen to take a drive out somewhere once I get my first scope to show the boyfriend the things I keep going on about!

I live in Hull now but as an ex swindoner I woulld suggest ... On The Ridgeway at Hackpen Hill - theres a car park at the top where I used to do mobile ham radio years back but it must be infinately suitable for stargazing too. Unless its been roped off and banned from public pleasure by now?

9f498a9cf0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived