Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Please harshly judge my Jupiter picture

I only get better when people rip my work apart, this way I know what to correct. While not my very first planetary shot technically, it is my very first one with the C9.25 HD as opposed to my little Travelscope 70, so the learning gap is wide.

Something like 15% of 6,000 frames used here - PiPP, AS and Registax using a ASI224MC.

FDB943A7-5277-4987-AC6C-4028755ECF07.jpeg

Edited by Maideneer
  • Like 9

That's a nice image, plenty of detail to see there.  

First thing I notice is the blue fringe at the top of the planet and the red fringe at the bottom.  This is the classic symptom of atmospheric dispersion. You can tackle this somewhat by realigning the red and blue channels to match the green (use the RGB align function in registax to do this for you).  An atmospheric dispersion corrector (ADC) would improve things even more so worth considering if you're going to get into this.

I'd probably boost the colour saturation a bit just to give it a bit more visual impact.

Focus may have been a little off.  It is difficult to nail focus right off the bat and it takes practice so don't feel bad about that, it will come with practice.  Poor seeing does make it hard to focus too.

Other than that there's not much wrong with it tbh.  Try to capture more frames and have a go with winjupos. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you. I actually do have an ADC but because it was cloudy'ish last night and in my haste I forgot to attach it, lesson learned.  The focus was challenging - even with a dew shield my corrector plate was dripping wet and since clouds were rolling in as I said it was a mad dash to the finish line.  I see that it's blurry and it's annoying me 🙂

In Registax, I did use RGB balance and this is what it gave me.  Also at the top and bottom if you look really carefully, you'll see what almost look like lines of latitude...that's the wavelet processing which I tried to keep to absolute minimums.

It sounds like I'm almost there but need to either wait for a better night and/or remember to actually use the specific crap that I bought lol.