Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally building a new observatory

Paul Gerlach

Good start Paul, that is a solid base for sure. I like the overall design nice and clean and modern looking.  Are you going to automate it  (roof opening/closing etc ) ?

Jim

Edited by saac

10 hours ago, saac said:

Good start Paul, that is a solid base for sure. I like the overall design nice and clean and modern looking.  Are you going to automate it  (roof opening/closing etc ) ?

Jim

No automation of the roof. I'll simply open and close it by hand. The pier can be extended lifting the telescope out of it's enclosure. Telescope will be operated remotely.

• Like 1

Hi Paul.

Great build ! 

As me and a friend are working on a small observatory project, you build log above  is a good source of ideas :)

What are the grey-ish/blue-ish block made of ? (the 4 one you cut to put on top of the 4 corner blocks) 

The look like Cellular concrete.

Thanks

Rodolphe

Another step. Placed the Electricity cable. First pour of concrete for the floor.  A foam border is to keep the concrete from the floor away from the concrete pier so no vibrations can be transferred. Tomorrow I'll place the rebar and do the rest of the concrete.

IMG_20210820_185403.thumb.jpg.80459adfa62cea2fd04c1699e64400a4.jpg

IMG_20210820_185422.jpg

Edited by Paul Gerlach
  • Like 5

That looks really nice. I love the compact design. I also used the drawer slide type roof on my build. but yours looks so modern 🙂 . I'm sure you will get many hours of enjoyment out of it. can't wait to see the finished obsy. Keep us posted

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Swoop1 said:

Paul, what are the material specs for the actual structure- the frame, walls and roof etc?

The frame is made out of aluminium 30 x 30 mm profiles. 1200 x 1200 mm foot print, 1300 mm height. Walls are of 6 mm thick HPL panels. Roof side panels of the same HPL. The top 3mm HPL sandwiched with aluminium.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...