Any experiences with Firecapture?

StuartT

I'm getting started with planetary imaging (having only done DSOs before). I saw a video from Dylan O'Donnell in which her raves about Firecapture. It's got some very nice new features.

I wondered if anyone has any experience with it for planetary? How does it compare with APT and SharpCap? 

17 minutes ago, Chris-h said:

Some love it, others hate it. I used to use FC, but I now prefer the much cleaner look of SC. Both work great though! :D

Thanks. I've heard though that sharpcap generates heavily compressed MOV files which are not good for planetary imaging. Maybe that's a misconception

4 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Thanks. I've heard though that sharpcap generates heavily compressed MOV files which are not good for planetary imaging. Maybe that's a misconception

No that's wrong, you can set it to collect AVI or SER uncompressed files for planetary imaging

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

No that's wrong, you can set it to collect AVI or SER uncompressed files for planetary imaging

Excellent! That's great to hear, as I do like SharpCap's uncomplicated interface, so I'd prefer not to have to learn a new piece of software. 

I use it, as it's free and available on the mac - unlike sharpcap.

I've found it easy to use and reliable with all my ASI cameras.  Pretty straighforward to use - can't say I've found any features missing for planatary stuff.

I use the beta, as the regular version isn't happy with M1 macs for some reason - but beta seems to work - though there are some errors in the log - stacktraces for something or other - it doesn't seem to affect its functionality.

One weird thing though is that it always loads my ASI cameras anyway with red off. So I have to bring up settings and 'reset color' - then it's fine. But it does this every time for reasons unknown - but it is the beta version.

stu

• Thanks 1