How do I kill Hot Pixels please?

A couple of nights ago I went to Llanddwyn Island, just off the Isle of Anglesey to capture images of the Milky Way and Perseids meteors.

I had a great night with my Panasonic GH5 and Lowa 7.5mm manual prime lens. I have included two sample shots of the night which show the Hot Pixels in the dark areas. I tried to experiment with ISO Invariance to see if this would help. I don't have any Dark Frames for the simple reason that I forgot to take any. The shots may be a bit soft. It was a very windy night with a lot of sea spray in the air and I forgot my lens cloth. Doh!

I would be grateful for any help, tips advice or software that will help me to eliminate the Hot Pixels

Shot one was taken at ISO 5000

Shot two was taken at ISO 800

Both images were edited in Lightroom 5. Yep the old version because I'm a cheapskate and won't pay monthly for Lightroom.

1 How to eliminate hot pixels? 2 How to eliminate hot pixels?

Edited by the lemming
  • Like 1

I think that your best bet is to do it manually.

Make layer copy of your image and do median filter on it. Set radius to at least 3px (4-5px preferably). This will kill of most bright small features - hot pixel included.

Now take layer mask and just "paint" in median version in places where you spot hot pixel.

6 minutes ago, the lemming said:

Hello

What is a Median Filter please, and will it be in Lightroom 5?

Cheers

To be honest, I have no idea where to find it in LR5 - I haven't used that app myself, but it is very standard operation for image manipulation software like PS and Gimp.

For example, you can find it in Gimp grouped with blur filters (if you know where Gaussian blur is in LR5 - you are likely to find Median there as well)

image.png.23576f41b203334c683a7913cb3b803f.png