Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wide angle eyepieces

Tenby2

Hi. I'm hoping to buy probably 3 wide angle eyepieces, probably 9,15 and 20mm. Either Opticstar or Svbony. Maybe the Syvbony set of 4  works out cheaper than buying then 3 in some cases and includes a not really wanted 6mm ep. I use a C8 on an 8SE mount, sometimes on an EQ5 mount. Budget is limited as you can see. I just can't decide which of the above to buy!

Which would you guys suggest?

Or maybe there's another brand I've not even thought of!

Thanks in advance

Marcus

Thanks a good read. Seems to me the Svbony could be the way to go, probably the set of 4, the 6mm maybe too much for my C8 but as cheaper to purchase than 3 individual eps and as soon as my work returns to some kind of normality I'll be buying a small refractor, but that's a decision for another day.

I'd like to find some more info on the opticstar eps first though I'm sure I read somewhere they are Meades!

2 hours ago, Tenby2 said:

Thanks a good read. Seems to me the Svbony could be the way to go, probably the set of 4, the 6mm maybe too much for my C8 but as cheaper to purchase than 3 individual eps and as soon as my work returns to some kind of normality I'll be buying a small refractor, but that's a decision for another day.

I'd like to find some more info on the opticstar eps first though I'm sure I read somewhere they are Meades!

It depends which Opticstar eyepieces you are referring to. These for example look pretty much identical to the Explore Scientific 82 degree range:

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Telescopes-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_5_1_8_322

The Opticstar zooms seem identical to the Skywatcher Hyperflext zooms. The Opticstar 66 degree 66 degree wide angles seem identical to the Skywatcher UWA series (now discontinued) and Opticstar 70 degree eyepiece range seem very similar to the Skywatcher Panaview 2 inch eyepieces and the William Optics SWAN range.

All made by one or more manufacturers in the far east and they have been available under a variety of brandings over the years.

Your scope is not too fussy about eyepieces though so any of them would work pretty well in it.

On 14/08/2021 at 22:06, John said:

It depends which Opticstar eyepieces you are referring to. These for example look pretty much identical to the Explore Scientific 82 degree range:

I was looking at the SWA series

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Telescopes-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_5_1_8_320

probably just the 10,15 and 20mm eps as budget is limited.

Edited by Tenby2
wrong page linked!

I have the 7mm and 16mm Nirvanas and they work very well not just in an SCT but faster scopes as well. Not quite as good as Naglers but not miles behind either and given the price definately a best buy. Unfortunately the 16mm is the only one in stock at the moment. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I have the 7mm and 16mm Nirvanas and they work very well not just in an SCT but faster scopes as well. Not quite as good as Naglers but not miles behind either and given the price definately a best buy. Unfortunately the 16mm is the only one in stock at the moment. 

Thank you, I'm pleased to hear that , I bought a 16mm from FLO a fortnight ago !

Naturally, since it arrived the weather had been dreadful, and I've only managed the briefest use of it between the clouds. I just haven't time to really assess it properly,  but the 'big window' effect compared with my BSTs at 60  degrees was striking.

Heather

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Have you seen these ?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ovl-eyepieces/ovl-nirvana-es-uwa-82-ultrawide-eyepieces.html

No 20mm, as they are too  wide at 82 degrees to have that long a focal length, but there's a 16mm and 7mm

Heather

I have the 16mm Nirvana and love it. Such a bargain for a well corrected ultra wide. I just need the 7mm now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, russ said:

I have the 16mm Nirvana and love it. Such a bargain for a well corrected ultra wide. I just need the 7mm now.

That's what worries me :evil4: ,if I find I love the 16mm, it will mean I'll be wanting the 7mm . And quite possibly the 4mm too ...

Heather

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tenby2 said:

I was looking at the SWA series

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Telescopes-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_5_1_8_320

probably just the 10,15 and 20mm eps as budget is limited.

There won't be much difference in performance between these and the aforementioned Svbony set at f/10.  Their 70 degree line is an introductory, budget wide angle line under the Bresser brand.  Opticstar is the JOC factory direct branding.

58 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

That's what worries me :evil4: ,if I find I love the 16mm, it will mean I'll be wanting the 7mm . And quite possibly the 4mm too ...

Heather

Don't worry, we are safe for now. I have checked everywhere and the 4mm & 7mm are not in stock anywhere...lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John said:

In an F/10 SCT they should work pretty well.

I'm hoping from what I've read are bit better a buy that the Svbonys!

4 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Thanks T Clanger look very nice but at almost double the cost of the Opticstars I'm wondering if it's worth the extra expense. Also the 7mm and maybe/definitely the 4mm could be asking too much of my 8SE which is my only scope atm. Tempted as I am and not quite ready to splash out, albeit more of a drip, until mid September ish as my work is soon to kick off after virtually nothing for the past 16 months. 

Edited by Tenby2

I think that a 6 or 7mm EP is not an overkill for 8SE in situations where you want to zoom into some planetary nebula or the moon or some close double star.

2000/6=333, perfectly feasible magnification for a 200mm diameter telescope in excellent seeing.

I use 6mm and 9mm Svbony red line EPs in my 180Skymax with focal length 2700mm. There is some kidney beaning on the moon, but hardly noticeable on dimmer objects.

13 minutes ago, Tenby2 said:

I'm hoping from what I've read are bit better a buy that the Svbonys!

Thanks T Clanger look very nice but at almost double the cost of the Opticstars I'm wondering if it's worth the extra expense. Also the 7mm and maybe/definitely the 4mm could be asking too much of my 8SE which is my only scope atm. Tempted as I am and not quite ready to splash out, albeit more of a drip, until mid September ish as my work is soon to kick off after virtually nothing for the past 16 months. 

🙂 I've not been doing this for very long, and I'm sceptical about the marginal improvements gained by paying more, but as far as I can see  , wide field and cheap do not go together. The 60 degree BST starguiders I've bought will mostly do fine for me ,  not problem with any of them in my mak at f12, but I wanted to see if I could improve on what the 25mm BST shows me in my f5 dob, which is a more picky  'scope !

You could keep an eye open for a second hand nirvana , and try to beat the rush !

Heather

I've owned all the Nirvana's except the 7mm. I found the 4mm a rather good high power planetary performer :icon_biggrin:

The 28mm was part of my "group test" of big eyepieces posted many years ago now:

I'll be looking at the Nirvanas and could buy one at a time as opposed to getting a 'set', I am an impatient soul at times, wrong hobby  you might say, but if they are that much better then the extra will be well spent. Thank you all for your 'spanners' 😂👍

Edited by Tenby2
Misuse of words, sorry
  • Haha 1