Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Session Automation - Remote Reboot etc

I have used SGpro for a few years and have now built an observatory (accessible on my Wifi (sometimes) and Home Plug network) and I would like to add some more automation - would be interested in knowing about any solutions that may help with the following.

1) Remotely rebooting my QHY600 camera - its a fickle device and sometimes only a reboot will do, it can be rebooted by turning the 12v supply off and on. It is on a 240v / 12v adapter so I'm thinking I could buy a wireless or maybe Google assistant type Plug to enable the plug to be turned on and off but is there a better way?

2) Shutting down a PC at the end of a session - I could just leave it on overnight but wastes power. It would need to disconnect equipment first - perhaps SGP does this (I will check). 

Have you looked at Kstars/Ekos? works a treat but needs INDI server(you could host it on RPi). It allows me to restart my ZWO camera without rebooting pc etc. so guessing similar procedure will be available for QHY.

There is the option to shut down components at end of the session too. So you could park the scope, close Obs, shutdown the INDI server etc.

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

Have you looked at Kstars/Ekos? works a treat but needs INDI server(you could host it on RPi). It allows me to restart my ZWO camera without rebooting pc etc. so guessing similar procedure will be available for QHY.

There is the option to shut down components at end of the session too. So you could park the scope, close Obs, shutdown the INDI server etc.

Thanks will take a look, the QHY is designed to be rebooted using the 12v psu.

20 hours ago, Midnight_lightning said:

1) Remotely rebooting my QHY600 camera - its a fickle device and sometimes only a reboot will do, it can be rebooted by turning the 12v supply off and on. It is on a 240v / 12v adapter so I'm thinking I could buy a wireless or maybe Google assistant type Plug to enable the plug to be turned on and off but is there a better way?

2) Shutting down a PC at the end of a session - I could just leave it on overnight but wastes power. It would need to disconnect equipment first - perhaps SGP does this (I will check). 

1) what improvement would you like over the smart plug solution? I imagine it's the sort of thing that needs you to decide a camera reboot is necessary. 

2) SGpro will run scripts (vbs, cmd, bat etc) at the end of a session, and so you should be able to find a 'shutdown pc after n minutes' script somewhere.

Ady

14 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

1) what improvement would you like over the smart plug solution? I imagine it's the sort of thing that needs you to decide a camera reboot is necessary. 

2) SGpro will run scripts (vbs, cmd, bat etc) at the end of a session, and so you should be able to find a 'shutdown pc after n minutes' script somewhere.

Ady

A smart plug solution would work fine, just wondered what others were using.

Scripts - sounds useful, do you know if this would also allow SGP to disconnect all equipment before shutting down PC - is it necessary to disconnect equipment or is it ok just to turn PC off?

2 hours ago, Midnight_lightning said:

A smart plug solution would work fine, just wondered what others were using.

Scripts - sounds useful, do you know if this would also allow SGP to disconnect all equipment before shutting down PC - is it necessary to disconnect equipment or is it ok just to turn PC off?

I'll let someone with practical SGP experience step in now... I would not have thought there any reason to disconnect all equipment before shutting down, but it is good practice to do a slow warm-up of your cooled camera sensor at the end of a session.

I'm confident that SGP will do what you want...