Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Perseids 2021 - A damp squib

I don’t know about you, but I was pretty underwhelmed by this year’s Perseids.

I had two clear nights and stayed up for a few hours both nights, and also had two cameras running in different directions, but saw and captured very few compared to previous years.

What are other’s thoughts?

• Like 2

I was observing Saturn and Jupiter from 23.30 to 01.30 last night, but at the same time was on the look out for Perseids and didn't notice a single one, very unusual for the night of 12 -13 August.

John 

Edited by johnturley

I must have been lucky then! I saw a bright one when out around 10.45pm ish, then went out around 11.45pm and lay on our bench for about fifteen minutes. During that time I saw nine or ten, three bright ones amongst them and one with a trail which persisted for a few seconds.

• Like 2

Wasn't a great show sadly. We observed from 11pm to 2am. First 1.5hours was dedicated to meteors alone. We saw 18 in all over that 1.5 hour period. One was a belter, straight through Ursa Major. Nice and colourful too. The rest were fast and not particularly bright. After that we switched to planets and spotted a couple out the corner of the eye. But nothing spectacular.

Just now, Stu said:

I must have been lucky then! I saw a bright one when out around 10.45pm ish, then went out around 11.45pm and lay on our bench for about fifteen minutes. During that time I saw nine or ten, three bright ones amongst them and one with a trail which persisted for a few seconds.

Stu, was that bright one at 10:45 skimming through Ursa Major and predominantly orange in colour?  We literally stepped out the house and saw a really bright one above the roof.

Sounds like some of you were luckier than me. I guess my eyes aren't what they were.

Here's an hour's worth of my north-facing camera. One Perseid and a brighter sporadic (or maybe a satellite flare). Canon 6D. 30 sec exposures ISO 1600.

51374432667_b8da05d6f6_k.jpg

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 2

My tally was just two.  First one at 10.20 passing over Auriga, second one the bright one already described at 10.45, unfortunately by this time it was seen through thin cloud so rather muted.  Overcast by 11.00 but cleared again just after midnight.  Looked for anothe half hour but saw no more.  At least I saw a couple.  🙂

6 minutes ago, russ said:

Stu, was that bright one at 10:45 skimming through Ursa Major and predominantly orange in colour?  We literally stepped out the house and saw a really bright one above the roof.

Hi Russ, no I don’t think it was, although the one saw with the trail was on a similar path though about an hour later. It was nice to actually be able to see some for once, they are normally so subdued to the LP at my old house, but the new place is much darker.

• Like 1

Nothing but cloud here in Cumbria yet again but to be honest, I've always thought the Perseids are hyped up in the press.

I've probably only ever seen a handful over all the years I've casually looked for them. They were nice meteors though!

It there had been any prospect of good conditions I'd have set up an all sky camera and let that do the work.

Much better are the Gemenids in December. Radiant high up in a dark sky and they always deliver!

I managed 21 last night over two sessions. I started at 10.15 as it was getting dark and saw 7 including one bright one through partial cloud before it totally clouded over at around 11. Then it cleared at around 12.30 so went out for another hour and saw the last 14. Some bright ones among them, the best of which passed south between Jupiter and Saturn at around 12.55am and was at least as bright as Jupiter and bright white to start, with a red ending and a brief trail.

I was thinking though that there weren't as many as I've seen in previous years, and the previous night i managed almost as many in half the time. Still I'm glad to have just seen them, it could have been total cloud!

• Like 1

Up to 3am this morning in Bortle4 area, with camera pointed at radiant, taking constant 20sec (@11mm, f/2.8) exposures and other than a crossing plane and nice cloud motion, might have caught but a few. Watching for them, only saw 3 between 1-1.30, one of which was nice & bright.

Saw them several years ago in Switzerland and there were plenty, matching with the ZHR in astro apps, so they're always one to watch out for with the hype, but clouds generally win most years in UK so don't persevere. Last night promised to be clear (and indeed was around Auriga/Cass/And), so had high hopes, but "a damp squib" certainly sums it up!

As Paul says, Geminids tend to be better with only the cloud cover being the issue

Plenty of cloud here, but passing quickly with the strong wind.

Hence, we stayed inside, lay on the bed and watched through the velux!

4 tidy ones, long burners with good tails. A handful of faint quick ones. And one head on supernova style,

Not up there with the best meteor showers we've ever seen, but considering the weather, not a damp squib either. :)

I saw a couple last night, during the clear spells.

The let down from these displays becomes an annual feature of this hobby I've found :rolleyes2:

The surprise sporadic ones are generally more rewarding / exciting :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

I managed 3, 2 of them quite good uns but I had my back to the action looking at Jupiter and Saturn. I was under orders to wake Mrs V and my boy if it was still clear at midnight and they were lying under a blanket in an empty paddling pool on the grass looking upwards. I'd have taken a photo for comedy reasons if it hadn't meant destroying any night adaptation with camera flash. 🤣 Mrs V said she spotted 5 between midnight and 0050 when the clouds rolled in.

Hmm, I spotted  just 2,  I was out from midnight (when alternate street lights are switched off) to 2.15 am when the bank of cloud invaded. Wasn't specifically looking for them though, it was the first decently long clear dark sky spell I'd had for ages (since the 27th of July to be exact) .

Heather

Between 10.30 and midnight I saw five bright meteors with long tails running between Cygnus and due south. I wasn't looking for them as i was targeting the area around Lyra (M57, STF 525, M56 and M27) but was most impressed. Perhaps they are like pandas and you only see them if you don't look for them?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lukebl said:

Sounds like some of you were luckier than me. I guess my eyes aren't what they were.

Here's an hour's worth of my north-facing camera. One Perseid and a brighter sporadic (or maybe a satellite flare). Canon 6D. 30 sec exposures ISO 1600.

51374432667_b8da05d6f6_k.jpg

Epic shot Luke. Wow

Had an early start this morning at work so wasn't able to observe - sounds like I didn't miss much!   Last year wasn't that good either imo.    Best perseid session for me was 5 years ago when I was at dark skies a bit of a way out from Salisbury - counted 102 in 1 hour period.

Hopefully it will clear tonight as I'm going to give it a bash and hopefully see one or two.

Edited by Merak
Spelling error

Think my best was 2013. According to my Facebook memories I saw 75 in 4 hours. Couldn't get the time off work today and to be honest, sounds like I would of been disappointing if I had! Oh well, bring on the Geminids.

1 hour ago, Dark Vader said:

I managed 3, 2 of them quite good uns but I had my back to the action looking at Jupiter and Saturn. 

Ha, sounds identical to my experience last night. Saw 3, 1 very bright one but probably missed loads whilst drinking in the views of the gas giants!