Narrowband

Meteor shower with fireball

jetstream

As the day unfolded I was all ready to study the effects of atmospheric dispersion vs aperture and seeing conditions with the 90mm apo frac. All set up and cooling around 4pm... yeah.. then bam! storm cell blew in - a spur of the moment thunderstorm. I did the 200 yards hobble up to the sea can to get the scope and mount in quickly.

The sky remained all clouded up.🙁

Until about 9pm!😀😀

My 12 yr old grand daughter and her sisters are with us and she has been observing since about 3 yrs old, whether she remembers or not.

The sky unleashed a super clear, rain washed Milky Way- what a stunning sight! The stark Cygnus rift, the spur toward Cass and that large oblong lane right off Cass toward Cygnus gave quite a presentation. The grand daughters eyes spotted all this sooner than old Papa lol! I blame the 70" QLED Samsung for the delay :hiding:in dark adaptation.

The spilt in Ophiuchus was amazing with the longer section an extremely bright lane of billowy clouds. The Lagoon and others were bright naked eye. This section of the MW stole the show last night.

Except for...

A huge bright fireball that tumbled from a white streak into an orange burst!!

This one rocked back the G kid, startling her (and me) , holy cow- in all my years Ive never seen one like that. Just south of Cygnus where the brightest seemed to happen.

So, she spotted 29 of the meteors and was totally amazed. As she observed (its been a while) it all started coming back to her, spotting the Double Cluster and the Andromeda galaxy- the "streak with a bright middle". Yes, M31's core was a bright dot and its elliptical form was visible naked eye. All this from a lowish elevation.

We sat there in amazement for an hour and a half, no need for a scope.

But @badhex, when you get to these skies, do use your scope and find the bright North American nebula- and then use the filter to enhance the bright no filter views👍 And dont forget the Swan, and and...

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 16