Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My partner brought this 'scope home - any good ?

Hi all,

My partner brought this telescope home which had been in somebodys loft. Not knowing a thing about telescopes I don't know how good it is or if it will do me for the time being. :

20022009.jpg

20022009107.jpg

20022009.jpg

20022009108.jpg

It's a Meade Jupiter but I haven't been able to find any information on it at all online. The previous owner said he should have the eye pieces and remote but, if he hasn't, am I able to buy replacements ?

Thanks All.

The scope (Refractor) I think is discontinued but Meade optics have a good reputation and eyepieces are readily available from a variety of makers and suppliers. FLO's Revalation eyepiece sets are good value. You could have some fun on moon and planets with that.

Yes, you could have a bit of fun with it. It will be easier to use with the handset though as then you should have the ability to track objects. Handsets can be expensive, so if it can't found you should check secondhand sites. If you had to buy one at full price you would be better just buying a new scope.

But get the scope on the moon and you'll be amazed at what you can see!

Helen

Fantastic :(

Just have to wait for the cloud to clear =/

Would you have any advice on cleaning \ maintenance ? I want to get it up to scratch but without ruining any delicate optics.

Thanks for the advice !

Fantastic :(

Just have to wait for the cloud to clear =/

Would you have any advice on cleaning \ maintenance ? I want to get it up to scratch but without ruining any delicate optics.

Thanks for the advice !

I swear by Baader Wonder Fluid (available from FLO and other good astro dealers). It's effectively Isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle - spray it on the eyepiece/lens and rub gently with a microfibre cloth. Be sure to blow any dust or other particulates off first as these could scratch the optics if rubbed in. You shouldn't need to clean inside the telescope at all.

Only clean the optics if they're really dirty - you can get away with quite a lot of dust and even a fingermark might not make any difference. In the absence of a handcontroller you might need to just move the scope manually but it would still work fine that way. Keep all the lenses covered when not in use (if lens caps are missing then use rubber bands and poly bags). You might find that lenses steam up with dew during observing sessions or when the scope is brought indoors - you want to avoid capping the lenses when they're in that state. Outside, a bit of warmth should be enough to remove dew (eg from a warm hand - not in contact with the lens!). Cover undewed lenses before bringing the scope indoors and they won't steam up in the house.

• 4 months later...

Hoorah, the eyepieces and remote were finally found and in perfect condition!

I'm on a little holiday to Looe in Cornwall next week. I'm hoping the visibility is better down there so i can try this telescope out.

Can anyone recommend anything in particular to look out for next week ? Any events? Is Saturn around ?

Thanks for your advice.

Hoorah, the eyepieces and remote were finally found and in perfect condition!

I'm on a little holiday to Looe in Cornwall next week. I'm hoping the visibility is better down there so i can try this telescope out.

Can anyone recommend anything in particular to look out for next week ? Any events? Is Saturn around ?

Thanks for your advice.

Jupiter's around after midnight look towards the SE and you will see a very bright object low down. Thats Jupiter the later it is the higher it will be in the sky.

Your scope should see the 4 moons and maybe some banding on the planet. Have fun.

Don't worry about the dirt. I've seen photo's taken with lenses that have a filter on the front that is cracked badly. It didn't affect the image, well probably reduced the contrast a bit. On that basis a bit of dirt isn't going to be an issue. Good luck and enjoy it.

Thanks - i'll look forward to spotting Jupiter especially :)

And the 'scope and eyepieces are in almost perfect condition. I don't think they've seen much action at all so i'm happy.

Archived