recommend me a cheap ccd to replace my 178mc colour for a all sky camera please

iwols

If yer happy with its 0.5 sec max shutter limitation, you can pick up svbony sv105s for 18 quid when they have a sale on ebay. that's what I got mine for.

Though at present they are 35 quid

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283491837763?epid=16030617321&hash=item42016e2743:g:lNAAAOSwzntgtEak

For planets/moon its actually not bad. And day stuff is fine. But the max 0.5sec exposure limits what else you can do with it and afaik there is no way of extending it.

I see the official svbony seller is using @AstroRuz   video - which he might not be too happy about.

As an all sky - I'm not sure if it'd work well or not tbh, and you don't get a fisheye/all sky lens with it so it would be assuming you could modify what you have to fit. But you did ask for cheap...

stu

A Raspberry Pi Zero-w with a 12MPix HQ camera using a F1.7 lens in a CS-M12 adapter will give you images like this for a 10 second exposure binned 2x2

hq_0056_07Aug2021_222950_16.2.thumb.png.6ecdc3e9c138cb6efa822c7b861cb0c7.png

For reference, the stars just below Sagitarius' "teapot" are 13° above the horizon according to Stellarium

• Like 1

4 hours ago, powerlord said:

If yer happy with its 0.5 sec max shutter limitation, you can pick up svbony sv105s for 18 quid when they have a sale on ebay. that's what I got mine for.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283491837763?epid=16030617321&hash=item42016e2743:g:lNAAAOSwzntgtEak

For planets/moon its actually not bad. And day stuff is fine. But the max 0.5sec exposure limits what else you can do with it and afaik there is no way of extending it.

I see the official svbony seller is using @AstroRuz   video - which he might not be too happy about.

As an all sky - I'm not sure if it'd work well or not tbh, and you don't get a fisheye/all sky lens with it so it would be assuming you could modify what you have to fit. But you did ask for cheap...

stu

I noticed that SVBony did re-upload my SV105 video and my SV eyepiece review. No I wasn't too keen on it. I could copyright claim it if I want, but they've not had many views so it hasn't exactly "taken" anything from me. I do appreciate tagging me in this though to bring it to my attention :)

On 11/08/2021 at 16:14, powerlord said:

Sorry to butt in but are these sales a regular occurrence? I quite fancy an SV105 but I'd  rather pay £18 than £35  🙂

you just need to keep an eye on it. on amazon too where the official seller also sells. they go up and down. For example their decent 80mm APO was discounted 20% (100 quid!) on amazon recently.

usually it's not discounted as much as the 50% I got - no idea how often they do that.