Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Autoguiding for Astrophotography

ASIGN_Baz

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

Hey folks,

I took some snaps in the observatory today and wrote a new page to familiarise those who want to know about autoguiding.

I have tried to keep it simple as an overview so as not to confuse or daunt.

http://www.asignobservatory.com/autoguiding_for_astrophotography.aspx

I hope it helps.

Baz.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting read and puts it in nice simple terms I can understand.

Is auto-guiding an option on a soon to be pier mounted EQ5 with SWE 200P an option or would the additional guide scope with auto-guider be too much of a strain for the mount/motors? Any recommendations on a beginners auto-guide setup?

So, just to be sure I'm clear, can I:

1) Unscrew the EP from the 9x50 straight through finder that came with my scope (I've since replaced it with an Orion 9x50 right angle finder)

2) Then using an appropriate 2" -> 1.25" adapter (does such a thing exist) connect something like a Skywatcher Synguider Autoguider, is there a cheaper option than the Synguider that would work with my Syncscan (I have a laptop that I can use) maybe a CHQ5?

3) Mount the finderguider on the scope using something like Stellarvue 50mm Rings.

4) The autoguider cable then connects directly to the Syncscan GoTo autoguide port?

5) Using PHD, calibrate and select a guide star and bobs your uncle?

If that's correct, it sounds almost too good to be true.

Thanks

Does the Synscan Upgrade kit help with autoguiding an EQ5?

The 200mm focal length of the finderguider maybe too short for a Synguider. I simply use a Philips SPC900NC webcam and PHD. Also, I just mount it in the normal place on the OTA and make do without a finder.

But as Blinky says, you may have the problem of how to connect to the mount I'm afraid.

Does the bottom of the handset have an RJ45 and an RJ11 connector. If so, and it is V3.25 or higher firmware then you may still be OK.

Should be possible then. I'd be concerned about the total weight on your eq5 but its worth a shot. Modifying a standard synta finder is not quite as straightforward as replacing the eyepiece though- if i recall its not quite the right thread or width, but there are threads on the mod on SGL somewhere!

Stephen

Does the bottom of the handset have an RJ45 and an RJ11 connector. If so, and it is V3.25 or higher firmware then you may still be OK.

It has both ports & one is labeled auto-guide. The firmware was updated to the latest version a couple of months ago, can't remember the version.

I simply use a Philips SPC900NC webcam and PHD. Also, I just mount it in the normal place on the OTA and make do without a finder.

Pardon my ignorance, do you mean you can achieve auto-guiding with only the SPC900NC and no finder scope?

You can get an adapter Accessories @ Modern Astronomy which lets you use a QHY5 on a normal Skywatcher 9x50 finderscope. I was going to go down this route myself with my 200p on an EQ5 Synscan until I decided to upgrade my mount to an NEQ6.

I know some people have used the Synguider with a finderscope, with varying degrees of success from what I could tell. There are threads about it on SGL somewhere.

So, for the price of a QHY5 (approx £179), and a T mount adapter for straight through finder (£28) I could have a beginners auto-guiding setup. Very interesting, Christmas is close too. Thanks for the input folks :)

Yes, I use the SPC900NC in the finderguider.

The QHY5 route is good because there is a proper adaptor made to fit.

With my webcam I had to turn a piece of nylon myself.

Also, if you should want to go for something like an ST80 for guiding in the future you can still use the QHY5 and you can put your finder back together with no harm done.

I think then you would want a bigger mount because of the weight added by the ST80.

I think then you would want a bigger mount because of the weight added by the ST80.

Yeah, I realize I'm at the edge of the mount's envelope, I've kept that in mind when designing the pier I'm hopefully pouring this weekend. The OD of the form (240mm) is sufficient to take the larger pier head necessary for an HEQ6

Until now, I hadn't considered guiding as an option on the EQ5, this sounds like a really viable option that would satisfy my longer subs craving for quite some time.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I managed to get out last night to try out the QHY5 on on my Skywatcher 9x50 finderscope without a great deal of success sadly. The connection setup I have is the guide port on the Synscan connected to the QHY5, the QHY5 connected to the notebook via USB. When using PHD it didn't show anything on the screen during the 1.5s intervals I had it set to and yes, I did remove the cover from the finder scope :) I selected the camera ok and for the scope I selected the option for "on camera" as the scope isn't connected directly to the notebook, was that correct? I adjusted the focus on the finder scope all the way out then back in but didn't see any stars though it was moving around a lot in the housing so it may not have been pointing at any but I'd have thought the screen would show something, i.e. at least what I'd see looking through the finder? I was trying to do PHD drift alignment as described here, any thoughts?

Next, I thought I have a go at controlling the scope using EQMOD but it wouldn't connect, my notebook doesn't have an RS232 port as it a fairly new model and RS232 seems to be pretty much obsolete these days, does EQMOD only work via RS232?

I know I'm trying to do a lot in a short space of time (only started into Astronomy & AP in August this year, but I'm off for nearly 3 weeks at Christmas and hope to get a lot of practice with the tools that seem to be the MUST haves for guiding.

Any help greatly appreciated.

There is only a small window of focus when you will see any stars with the QHY5 so you need to take your time, try focusing using the moon as a target to start, if you are using a standard Skywatcher straight through finder the QHY5 main body needs to be few mm away from the finder tube.

Good luck

I'm a real beginner and I found it easy (once I selected on-camera - though you can even dispense with the ST4 cable if you wish and use ASCOM for "pulse guiding", however I find the ST4 cable better). My camera is screwed all the way in.

Connect it all up, click the camera and select ASCOM, then choose the QHY5. Select on-camera for the mount. Then click the next icon along so that it starts taking exposures. Focus the guidescope (do it during the day) and lock it off so you never have top do it again - a tiny bit out of focus is perfect. Taking dark images helps (click take dark and follow the instructions).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived