Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ROR Base

CedricTheBrave

in the planning stage for my ROR has anyone used ground screws for the floor supports? like these https://www.groundscrewcentre.co.uk/

looks a lot easier than mixing the concrete etc for the base.

this will then give me a raised surround around the centre concrete block for the mount

one of the reasons is my garden is only accesable through the garage and reducing the amount of mix to shift  all the way to the back would help a great deal.

base will be 8ft wide and 10ft long ish

Not used these but I think they will work fine in the UK where we do not get significant deep frost to cause ground swell.

Slight movement of the ROR shell will not bother the separated pier base as long as there is enough clearance.

Would be cautious if there is any trees nearby (with big roots) or your soil is very rocky , as screwing ground anchors in is a lot less easy than the video shows, especially at that size of anchor.

I have experience of anchoring marquees and mobile stage systems and have seen the struggles it can create at times even when using power tool drivers for the larger diameter anchors.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fifeskies said:

Not used these but I think they will work fine in the UK where we do not get significant deep frost to cause ground swell.

Slight movement of the ROR shell will not bother the separated pier base as long as there is enough clearance.

Would be cautious if there is any trees nearby (with big roots) or your soil is very rocky , as screwing ground anchors in is a lot less easy than the video shows, especially at that size of anchor.

I have experience of anchoring marquees and mobile stage systems and have seen the struggles it can create at times even when using power tool drivers for the larger diameter anchors.

only 1 surface rooting tree thats close (next door unfortunatly) and its a 17year old house estate so rocks and building detritus may be an issue but I think if I use the pilot drill first it may help.

I am sure its not going to be as easy as their video thats for sure

Jave been looking into these myself for my unborn obsy plans. 

One issue I forsee is if you have thin soils over bedrock preventing them going in, or otherwise rocky ground that could deflect the screw off vertical.

Some good videos of them being used on YouTube. This chap has other videos showing them doing pull out tests to enable loading calcs. And also building up the floor on them too. Worth a watch. 

• Like 1

They will be unlikely to all settle dead level like the video shows , though lots of laser levels manage it in the video (after how many takes 😆)

But that should not be a big issue as you can always use shims and spacers to get them aligned, its just for the shell not the pier so you have a fair bit of leeway.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

One issue I forsee is if you have thin soils over bedrock preventing them going in, or otherwise rocky ground that could deflect the screw off vertical.

There are less heavy duty ones.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Alternative things here.

Dave

That was my build (thanks for posting the link @Davey-T).

The obsy is standing on adjustable plastic decking risers placed on paving slabs. It worked great. Easy to adjust for slight ground variations. No levelling of the site at all, just plonked everything down and used the adjustable risers to level the obsy.

I used four ground anchors from Spirafix as well. Not to support the structure, but to tie it down for the storms we get fairly regularly. Possible overkill, but I did not fancy trying to collect the obsy building from a nearby field.

1917013901_1908211GoundAnchor.jpg.56ff7d8ad4f6bb4177520d3d1b9fbee7.jpg

For two years the obsy has been solid, just some flexing of timbers as they dried/equilibrated. So much so that I used the same decking risers strategy for a summerhouse we added last yeat. Without the ground anchors this time as the summerhouse was solid wood and heavy, unlike my timber frame and corrugated sheeting obsy.

Any questions on the experience, continue the thread or DM me.

old_eyes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

Some good videos of them being used on YouTube. This chap has other videos showing them doing pull out tests to enable loading calcs. And also building up the floor on them too. Worth a watch. 

The ground anchors I used (Spirafix) can be driven in with a lump hammer (ear-defenders recommended). It goes fairly slowly, but that makes it easier to check your levels. We are on boulder clay which has lots of rocks in it and usually makes any digging exercise a misery. But these anchors went straight in. Either I am lucky, or they nudge stones out of the way. If they do jam, or you hit bedrock, they screw out again with a spanner. I never had to do this in anger, but I did test it to see if I could get a partially installed anchor out with a sensible-sized spanner and ageing muscle power. You can.

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, old_eyes said:

That was my build (thanks for posting the link @Davey-T).

The obsy is standing on adjustable plastic decking risers placed on paving slabs. It worked great. Easy to adjust for slight ground variations. No levelling of the site at all, just plonked everything down and used the adjustable risers to level the obsy.

I used four ground anchors from Spirafix as well. Not to support the structure, but to tie it down for the storms we get fairly regularly. Possible overkill, but I did not fancy trying to collect the obsy building from a nearby field.

1917013901_1908211GoundAnchor.jpg.56ff7d8ad4f6bb4177520d3d1b9fbee7.jpg

For two years the obsy has been solid, just some flexing of timbers as they dried/equilibrated. So much so that I used the same decking risers strategy for a summerhouse we added last yeat. Without the ground anchors this time as the summerhouse was solid wood and heavy, unlike my timber frame and corrugated sheeting obsy.

Any questions on the experience, continue the thread or DM me.

old_eyes

Now thats a weapon!

• Like 1

Have you considered using a barrow mix company for the concrete. You only pay for what you use. The mix is made there in a hopper,  you pop your wheel barrow under the back fill it up and away you go. The guy who turned up the other day for my footings had his own barrow and helped. I know you still have to move it through the garage but it’s really quick and easy method. 

1CB71BA1-2319-4F03-B2A4-97995CF404A3.jpeg.f1082d7a2007e8550c6d1099ef8f26e9.jpeg

Edited by Danjc
  • Like 1

On 09/08/2021 at 23:06, Danjc said:

Have you considered using a barrow mix company for the concrete. You only pay for what you use. The mix is made there in a hopper,  you pop your wheel barrow under the back fill it up and away you go. The guy who turned up the other day for my footings had his own barrow and helped. I know you still have to move it through the garage but it’s really quick and easy method. 

1CB71BA1-2319-4F03-B2A4-97995CF404A3.jpeg.f1082d7a2007e8550c6d1099ef8f26e9.jpeg

yes I have thought about that way but the convaluted way i have to get it through the garage and utility room then turn right then left and right again and up a small flight of steps puts me off 

Have you considered these as an alternative?

https://easypads.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6s2IBhCnARIsAP8RfAjN0GcToEJyILUa_peg02Hf-2lmWPDzCDWKRwLLfIsytgKOTx9Wfb0aApR5EALw_wcB

Im looking at them for a garden Room / obsy project I have in my head. Not particularly cheap but a good compromise between not having to dig out tonnes of soil  and managing to get everything nice and level and solid.

12 hours ago, CedricTheBrave said:

yes I have thought about that way but the convaluted way i have to get it through the garage and utility room then turn right then left and right again and up a small flight of steps puts me off 

Fair play, I had it in my head it was just get it through the garage type scenario not the krypton factor. 

• Like 1