Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn 6th Aug - 300p

CraigT82

Got set up last night for a very brief session, got cut short by clouds and a bit of rain. 

Only managed 3x90s captures of Saturn with the 300p and QHY462c (Baader L filter). Wanted to  capture some IR too for an L channel but didn't have time. 

Seeing was poor with high jetstream speeds. Stacked best 5% of each video then derotated them together which produced a reasonable result. 

Pushed the saturation a bit on this one. Maybe a bit too much.

2021-08-06-0031-02_OSC.jpg

Edited by CraigT82
  • Like 11

• CraigT82 changed the title to Saturn 6th Aug - 300p

Nice Processing Craig. Looks like you increased your focal length from your first Saturn posted. If so its working to my eyes. Can see that seeing conditions are not ideal. But it hasnt stopped you getting a nice result. Always interesting to see others take on processing this planet. Saturation looks good to me. Crepe ring is prominent. Worst mistake is to add too much contrast or blacks. it quickly kills the Crepe ring. A touch bright on the mid region of the planet. But hard to do much about that. I get that as well on mine. Of course lower levels will cure it. But then you lose dynamic range. All in all i like your natural bright smooth processing.  Nice Craig. Very natural and vibrant

• Thanks 1

Thanks Neil, I did add another 18mm 1.25" nosepiece extension behind the barlow lens so should be getting a bit more FL. Not sure how much yet. Yes I do see the bight patch on the globe too. I usually process the globe and rings separately but didn't bother with this data as I thought it was too poor to bother. I was quite pleased to pick out the blue southern polar hood though I think that's come out quite well. 

Thanks Simon, I don't usually process Saturn without an IR luminance and didn't get a chance to capture any last night but I'm quite pleased with just the colour capture... might skip the IR more often!

Thats a very nice tidy Saturn Craig. The saturation looks spot on to me I also dont think the IR would have added anything at all except mess with the colour balance, Considering the conditions that is a excellent image.

• Like 1