Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I apologize if this is you but I doubt it

Chefgage

At a dark site. Motor home next to me has a led light blaring away all night. This seems to be the norm for mobile homes and caravans. 

Any way I had managed to image the night before this campervan appeared. But a few nights later this campervan appeared next to my pitch. It was then it seemed everyone on the site who had a caravan or mobile home thought it was ok to leave a led light blaring out all night.

Why do that???? The same happens at home. 

Now for a fun bit. At about 00:30 I went and banged on the motorhome next to me to turn off their led light that was lighting up the campsite. Well the guy came to the door naked. Then my mrs told me to get inside, cursing me she was

But to me we are in a dark sky area, so why have all the lights blaringing out??

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

I feel your pain!

I have neighbours who leave lights on all night for security! 
I’ve finally persuaded them to allow me to buy and install more directional lights that illuminate their gardens but not the night sky but it took 10 years of frustration before I talked to them!  
now I have a neighbour who, although followed me down the rabbit hole of AP has allowed their tree on our border to block my view of Orion!! 
Some people are just inconsiderate! 

Bryan 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Before she died my grate aunt and her family lived in Burley in The New Forest. They had people from London move in next to them. Because the new people didn't like the dark they had a number of streetlights installed in their garden and had them on all night, every night!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

That behaviour would stoke me enough to buy a catapault! If they didn’t respond to kind requests to tone down their lights…whoooop! Smash! Just joking! I’d spray black paint over them. Ha!

chaz

They should drop the word security and change it to nuisance lighting, we have an old folks home that has two of these led 'security lights' that shine straight at our house for why?

• Like 4

I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.

I must say that that was not mine when I was at a campsite near Cader Idris in Wales a few weeks ago. Everyone turned their lights off and in fact the whole place went to be at around 10 ish... leaving the campsite totally dark for me to image the milky way while getting drunk with my friend.

I found it odd that literally every single person was asleep so early. And eventually our nearest neighbour came and politely asked us to shut up as he could hear every word from his tent (we were being respectful, he was just super sensitive i guess)

Maybe it depends what sort of place you stay in. My friend did day that we were very lucky there were no kids or parties that weekend.

Hope you have better luck on your next trip mate. Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKHACHFE said:

I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.

I must say that that was not mine when I was at a campsite near Cader Idris in Wales a few weeks ago. Everyone turned their lights off and in fact the whole place went to be at around 10 ish... leaving the campsite totally dark for me to image the milky way while getting drunk with my friend.

I found it odd that literally every single person was asleep so early. And eventually our nearest neighbour came and politely asked us to shut up as he could hear every word from his tent (we were being respectful, he was just super sensitive i guess)

Maybe it depends what sort of place you stay in. My friend did day that we were very lucky there were no kids or parties that weekend.

Hope you have better luck on your next trip mate. Cheers

thats normal really. camping, you tend to get up when the sun comes up, go to bed when it goes down. And most people really do not realise how far sound travels when everyone is quiet and they are in a tent. general campsite rules really - shutup after 10. expect to hear folk when the sun comes up

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am sorry to hear about your experience.

I have a positive story (not camping related). One of my neighbours often leaves their security light on (it’s one that stays on - not motion sensitive). Well this evening I am  imaging and bam - lights on. So I went over and explained, showed him the scope etc and some images. Well he was amazed and immediately agreed to turn it off when not required. Sometimes you get good people and you get lucky. :) 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Mctoot said:

I am sorry to hear about your experience.

I have a positive story (not camping related). One of my neighbours often leaves their security light on (it’s one that stays on - not motion sensitive). Well this evening I am  imaging and bam - lights on. So I went over and explained, showed him the scope etc and some images. Well he was amazed and immediately agreed to turn it off when not required. Sometimes you get good people and you get lucky. :) 

That usually happens with me, part way through imaging and then lights on!

I have issues with lights coming on from three directions. I have now a retractable washing line from which a black out sheet is hung. The sheet has metal ringed holes in it so it can be opened and closed. This is closed when the imaging starts. Works really well. 

• Like 1

On 13/08/2021 at 08:32, powerlord said:

thats normal really. camping, you tend to get up when the sun comes up, go to bed when it goes down. And most people really do not realise how far sound travels when everyone is quiet and they are in a tent. general campsite rules really - shutup after 10. expect to hear folk when the sun comes up

We go camping every year. Prefer the small sites where usually there is a bit of cover between each pitch. But this time even though it was a small site (where we have been before but was on the edge of the field and had some bushes around us) we had no cover between pitches. I am one to stay up to the early hours having a few beers and looking up if it's clear. Usually have a fire as well so sit next to. I agree at 1am and with the site very quite with everyone in bed every click of my DSLR sounds like it could be heard miles away!!! :)

• Cornelius Varley changed the title to I apologize if this is you but I doubt it

I love camping, but unfortunately there are often inconsiderate people who spoil it, wherever you go.  We had a lovely 2 weeks near St Ives this year.  Part-way into the holiday a group of 4 adults plus a few children turned up - shouting and swearing at 11pm and insisting on driving their cars up and down the campsite just to go to the toilet.  One of the guys was lighting a fire on the ground when the campsite owner turned up and told him it had to be off the ground to avoid damage to the grass - so he put it in the back of his van ("it's a ***expletive*** shed anyway", was his explanation).  Near the end of the holiday we had another family (2 adults, 3 kids) put their tent literally 5 feet from ours (on a site with plenty of space) and they were genuinely surprised when ours had "migrated" away from them on their return from a day out!

Nowt queer as folk.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Orange Smartie said:

I love camping, but unfortunately there are often inconsiderate people who spoil it, wherever you go.  We had a lovely 2 weeks near St Ives this year.  Part-way into the holiday a group of 4 adults plus a few children turned up - shouting and swearing at 11pm and insisting on driving their cars up and down the campsite just to go to the toilet.  One of the guys was lighting a fire on the ground when the campsite owner turned up and told him it had to be off the ground to avoid damage to the grass - so he put it in the back of his van ("it's a ***expletive*** shed anyway", was his explanation).  Near the end of the holiday we had another family (2 adults, 3 kids) put their tent literally 5 feet from ours (on a site with plenty of space) and they were genuinely surprised when ours had "migrated" away from them on their return from a day out!

Nowt queer as folk.

It must be a thing of getting older but the word consideration does seem to be disappearing from the dictionary.
I know in most cases it a small minority that are inconsiderate but it can ruin your holiday just by the actions of this minority.
What ever happened to asking "Do you mind if ......." it often works wonders.

Steve 

• Like 2

I think there are a lot of folks on holiday in the UK this year who would normally be holidaying somewhere on the continent with lots of night life / brightly lit promenades etc. I've read quite a lot of reports from UK holiday destinations of difficult behaviour from folks who would normally prefer to be elsewhere. No excuse for it of course.

As an amateur astronomer I've noticed over the years that caravan and camping sites are often quite brightly lit (by the site owners) as well. To get a dark one you need almost to end up wild camping. 

• Like 1

On 09/08/2021 at 21:39, Cyril said:

They should drop the word security and change it to nuisance lighting, we have an old folks home that has two of these led 'security lights' that shine straight at our house for why?

insecurity lights or just don'tcare lights, so annoying

• Like 1

For all those afflicted by the inconsiderates, try this:

Grab this and play it from start to finish 

See who wins the war of attrition.

Edited by reezeh
Added last sentence
  • Like 1